Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Bacteria in my well

<< < (4/4)

IKN:
Not really. The well I had bored some 10 years plus ago has a 36" concrete casing.
Bored wells can only go around 100 feet deep, whereas drilled wells are smaller diameter and use steel pipe casings and can go hundreds of feet deep.

LeonardMaine:
Bacteria, sediments, and hardness are the 3 main common issues with well water as I know of. In your shoes, I'd either add a UV filter or replace the filter system with a more complete version that tackles as many of my issues as possible. I use an Aquasana with UV light and salt technology to soften the water (hardness issues in my area). I compared options here before I made a decision - https://popular.reviews/whole-house-water-filters-for-well/ Maybe it helps you too, best of luck, no matter what you choose to do in the end.

ga-qhd:

--- Quote from: LeonardMaine on March 05, 2020, 05:02:12 AM ---Bacteria, sediments, and hardness are the 3 main common issues with well water as I know of. In your shoes, I'd either add a UV filter or replace the filter system with a more complete version that tackles as many of my issues as possible. I use an Aquasana with UV light and salt technology to soften the water (hardness issues in my area). I compared options here before I made a decision - https://popular.reviews/whole-house-water-filters-for-well/ Maybe it helps you too, best of luck, no matter what you choose to do in the end.

--- End quote ---

I was going to go with a UV unit until I had the sediment issue following the rain.  Normally that suggests problems with the casing somewhere, but I had a well camera inspection done and found that the casing was fine: it's just that the well was shallow enough that a heavy rain pushed water up from the bottom fast enough that it stirred up very fine sub-micron sediment.  UV doesn't work as well on cloudy water.

So I bailed on it and drilled a new well.

Hardness isn't too much of a problem with the new water source, although iron is slightly above the EPA standard.  My neighbor, who has a well of the same depth nearby, reports that he's never had any of the iron issues that can happen.  So all seems to be good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version