The TSP Marketplace > Harvest Eating - Chef Keith Snow

Food Storage Feast students: Introduce yourselves here

<< < (5/9) > >>

cathy112:
Hi everyone,  I hope i replied to this correctly and in the right place.  I have been listening to TSP for many years and Chef Keith Snow too.  I love to cook, I will cook anything and everything.  My husband grows a huge vegetable garden every summer.  I have learned to dehydrate, blanch and freeze, and cook so many things.  This year I learned to dehydrate many herbs that I planted so i have many herbs all year long.  Last summer i found out about a chili pepper farm near where we live.  Got carried away, bought 16 different pepper plants, this farm has over 500 varieties.  We were overwhelmed at how they produced what seemed like hundreds of peppers.  I dried them, ground them, and made our own pepper blend that could be put on anything.  OMG !  it was so good, we gave them to friends and family.  it was overwhelming, we weren't prepared for the produce we got, but it was so fun.
I look forward to learning more recipes, this is so awesome. Thanks Jack and Keith for putting this all together.

I know people who don't cook and have the beautiful kitchens mentioned, I just don't get that. Especially with children, how do you eat out 3 times a day.  that makes no sense.  That would get old so fast in my opinion.

CharlesH:
You done posted good, Cathy!  ;D. I'm with everyone on the nice kitchens that never get used.  All that space and money spent on places to stand around and lean on counters while visiting.  We do that in our kitchen, too, but we are usually standing around and visiting while someone is cooking something!

chefkeithsnow:

--- Quote from: Carlyle on January 20, 2017, 01:55:35 PM ---Hello from Southern Colorado.  I have a one acre plot that I am slowly making a little more self sufficient.  I have a small garden and five fruit trees.    I am interested in taking this class as I have cooked for many years, but am interested in making my preps taste great and to start using my preps as part of my daily living.   

--- End quote ---

Carlyle,

sounds like you have a good thin going there in CO...cooking with bland preps can be challenging....I address this by adding in lots of flavor, sauces, spices etc.  Many people are not aware that the state of CO grows some amazing fruit....and there is such low humidity, not many pests and cool nighttime temps..all that makes for top quality tree fruit...I've eaten some apricots and peaches from the wes slope that were light years better then eastern fruit....

Keith

chefkeithsnow:

--- Quote from: Straylight on January 21, 2017, 02:18:12 PM ---Hello from Montreal, Canada!

Last year I started using a slow cooker to bulk cook and store stuff like stews, chillis and pulled pork. So I'd like to be able to buy a bag of potato's instead of a few individually - but when I do that now, more often than not I don't have enough uses for em and they'll go back before being used. Another issue would be a recipe that catches my eye but had 15 ingredients, so I'll end up with an obscure spice used once and the rest goes stale.

Can't wait to start trying some of the recipes and seeing how the site develops!

--- End quote ---

I hope this course gives you some ideas and helps you be more self sufficient!
Keith

Carlyle:

--- Quote from: chefkeithsnow on January 24, 2017, 10:51:31 AM ---Carlyle,

sounds like you have a good thin going there in CO...cooking with bland preps can be challenging....I address this by adding in lots of flavor, sauces, spices etc.  Many people are not aware that the state of CO grows some amazing fruit....and there is such low humidity, not many pests and cool nighttime temps..all that makes for top quality tree fruit...I've eaten some apricots and peaches from the wes slope that were light years better then eastern fruit....

Keith

--- End quote ---

Thanks Keith!

The fruit trees do really well here as long as they get lots of water when the high temps hit.  Nice that they finally legalized the catchment of rain water to help with water from the ditch shares.  3-5 more trees going in this spring as well as some berry bushes.  Looking forward to more as I begin reading the class material.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version