Author Topic: The United Kingdom  (Read 7653 times)

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: The United Kingdom
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2009, 01:26:09 PM »
I've been on temporary duty to RAF lakenheath and REALLY enjoyed going to all the airgun shops around the town. they really take airgunning serious, I almost purchased a suppressor (off the shelf BTW) for a pneumatic airgun I own but did not know the legal issues with suppressors for airguns. I know firearms is a no-no but airguns are not classified as firearms. right?

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2009, 01:30:22 PM »
Firearms aren't a complete no-no.  You can own shotguns but you need a licence, it is very restricted and you can only own them for sporting reasons.  Self-defence is not a reason to own a firearm in the eyes of UK law.

I think anyone can own an air-rifle of legal age without licences required but they are limited in their power.

I really need to do some more research as I wish to own a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting.

edit - typo

Offline romeo hotel

• Survivor
  • Every BOB needs a cricket bat.
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2009, 09:56:10 PM »
I was stationed in the UK, East Anglia.  Had a great time there.

Offline Justin

• Prepper
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2009, 03:11:39 AM »
As far as I know, the legal limit on air rifles is 12 fps unless you have a firearms license, which is pretty poor but will still take rabbits and pigeons under 30 metres.  Actually, my Weihrauch will take them at about 40-50 metres but that really is pushing it and I don't really like injuring animals instead of outright killing them.  I think the age limit, not that it applies to me, is 18 years of age for the purchasing of an air rifle but you can own one at 16 if it is bought for you.

Getting the shotgun license was not that difficult really.  You need a secure house and a gun safe but that's pretty much it.  I use mine for clays as I don't have any hunting rights sorted out as yet.

I would love a .22 rim fire but the firearm license is a pain as you need to be part of a shooting club which I really don't have the time for.

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »
I also don't have time for shooting clubs so firearms are a no-go for me :(

Did you have to have a police interview for the shotgun licence?  Was this at the station or your home if so?
How often do you renew it?  Any good UK gun/ammo suppliers you can recommend?

Sorry for all the questions!  You're the first person I've been able to ask about it.

Offline Justin

• Prepper
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2009, 10:46:09 AM »
Ok, so the 12 fps for the air rifle is so so wrong.  It should be 12 ft lbs.  I can run faster than 12 fps...

Anyways, the shotgun license was relatively painless to get.  The interview was at my own home but I think that's so they can check security, the gun safe and make sure you don't gut small children, etc.

Costs £50 to get it the first time and lasts 5 years.  They can and will take it away for any minor infraction tho.  Which is only right really.  Think renewal is about £40.

As for shops, I used Chichester Armoury, in West Sussex, but John Forsey Guns in Kent are good people, I got my air rifle from them and they know their guns.  Not sure if that helps as I'm not sure where you live.  I would say tho that any shop that tries to make you buy a particular gun (as opposed to just a receommendation) is probably not one you want to buy from.  I must have spent about half an hour trying to decide even though I already knew the one I really wanted and they were happy to bear with me...  ::)

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2009, 02:18:44 PM »
Well I work in Chichester around one day a week so will have to check Chichester Armoury out, thanks :)

I do have a 2 year old but I had already thought about this.  I was thinking about having a regular key style padlock on the gun safe and in addition, a padlock with a code system so even if you had my keys, you would not have the number that was written down only in my mind.

Offline Justin

• Prepper
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2009, 05:26:46 AM »
i got my safe from bratton sound and it has 2 internal locks on it.  i find it safe enough but understand the concern with kiddies about.  I personally keep one set of keys on my key ring and another in a very safe place that isn't in my house.  You can lose your license if anyone even knows where to find you keys as it is classified as them having access to a shotgun without a license and you letting them.  I think the code lock is a good idea though and may get safe with one built in when we move house.

Offline WillWill000

• Prepper
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2009, 11:02:43 AM »
Another brit here, checking in due to Jack's incessant nagging  ;D

Nothing to contribute right now, but I joined a while back and I'll keep checking in.

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2009, 02:29:53 PM »
Hi Will :)

I'm definately more of a 'learner' than a contributor on these forums but hopefully over time I will post pictures and write ups of my little projects.

Good to see yet another Brit and I'm gonna give you your first +1 karma for posting in here :)

I KNOW we have more Brit listeners percentage wise compared to Brit listeners signed up to the forum.  I really want more Brits on board as there are obvious differences to our preparation strategies and climate, laws etc as well as the commonalities with our Stateside counterparts.

Offline Justin

• Prepper
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2009, 01:54:07 PM »
Hi Will

Welcome from one newbie to another.

Not really linked to your arrival but I spose what we should really talk about in this forum is the things which need to be altered from Jack's (and others, obviously) thoughts on things to fit into a British life style and / or legal system.

I'll start things with the following:

• Fire arms are a bugger to get hold of and the police look unkindly at having them for self-defence purposes only.  The only legal ones are (max 3 cartridge) shotguns with a shotgun license and a rifle with a fire arms license.
  • Some of the specific plants spoken of are a non-starter in Britain.  Most veg are fine unless you get crazy but we need to find a UK farmers almanac for frost dates etc.  On a permaculture slant, a list of good British varieties could be useful.  I plan on trying some when I move but may be good to see what others have that work.
  • Food storage is different slightly as I have no idea about some of the brands spoken about.  A list of British foods that store well and cost little would be good.I have no intentions of buying wheat but would not have a clue where to buy it even if I did...
  • Booklist of British food plants for a worst case scenario would be handy.  "Food for Free" is both cheap and good but only has 100 or so plants.  Hopefully won't have to live on these but they come in handy when looking for permaculture again.

Anyways, enough of me.  Your turn!  ;)

Offline Nirgal

• Prepper
  • The Idiots are winning. The Preacherman has spoken
    • P2S - Prepared to Survive
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2009, 12:28:18 PM »
Well I only heard about the podcast last week so have been catching up on quite a few, darting between past and present.

And er, hi all. I posted in introductions yesterday. I'm late 30s, been learning all about this stuff for about a year and, for my sins, am a moderator on a new UK based forum. I was asked by a mod yesterday to post a link but I'll hold fire on that until I get a reply from my PM. (It's only polite  ;) )

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2009, 04:26:50 PM »
Hey Nirgal, welcome aboard :)

Offline WillWill000

• Prepper
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2009, 04:37:35 PM »
Hi Will

Welcome from one newbie to another.

Not really linked to your arrival but I spose what we should really talk about in this forum is the things which need to be altered from Jack's (and others, obviously) thoughts on things to fit into a British life style and / or legal system.

I'll start things with the following:

• Fire arms are a bugger to get hold of and the police look unkindly at having them for self-defence purposes only.  The only legal ones are (max 3 cartridge) shotguns with a shotgun license and a rifle with a fire arms license.
  • Some of the specific plants spoken of are a non-starter in Britain.  Most veg are fine unless you get crazy but we need to find a UK farmers almanac for frost dates etc.  On a permaculture slant, a list of good British varieties could be useful.  I plan on trying some when I move but may be good to see what others have that work.
  • Food storage is different slightly as I have no idea about some of the brands spoken about.  A list of British foods that store well and cost little would be good.I have no intentions of buying wheat but would not have a clue where to buy it even if I did...
  • Booklist of British food plants for a worst case scenario would be handy.  "Food for Free" is both cheap and good but only has 100 or so plants.  Hopefully won't have to live on these but they come in handy when looking for permaculture again.

Anyways, enough of me.  Your turn!  ;)

Hello back at everyone!

Well, I know that bowhunting is illegal here (except for fish) - but does anyone know what exactly could I hunt with? A shotgun obviously, but anything that doesn't involve the runaround with police inspections and gun safes, etc? Air rifle I know. Spear? Atlatl? Slingshot? Nets? Big rocks?

Does anyone know of a cheaper way to buy canned food than just picking up a few extras at Tesco with the weekly shop? I know eat what you store and store what you eat, but if there is a cheaper way to get canned food in bulk, it would be handy.

Edit: What about a list of UK-based preparedness/outdoor suppliers? Such as, where do I got if I want to buy big barrels for water storage? Or which of the many outdoor-supply websites have people here actually used, and give good service?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:47:30 PM by WillWill000 »

Offline Justin

• Prepper
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2009, 04:16:05 AM »
A spring powered air rifle under 12 ft lbs is the best legal option as far as I can see.  No license, no need for gas, pellets are cheap, legal for small animals and birds, etc.

A shotgun license isn't really that much of a hastle to get to be honest.  As long as you are not 'known' to the police.  Took me 4 hours to fit the safe but mainly because I had a real hassle with my walls.  My inspection was less an interview or inspection than a chat with a guy interested in guns who gave me a bit of advise on how not to lose the license.

As with bows, I doubt atlatls, etc would be legal for hunting.  Gill nets are illegal I think.  Sure I read something about them the other day saying that.  Snares are not illegal but the locking snares are.

Best place for cheap as chips canned goods would be Lidl or one of the other 'bottom end' shops.  I haven't been in a while but I guess that rice and other staples would be cheaper there than any where else.  If you can get a Macros card, I'd suggest going there as they do goods in bulk.

I tend not to use outdoor stores as they cost quite a bit for the same stuff I can get off ebay or similar.  I have bought stuff from Cotswold stores before.  Seem quite good to me tho not cheap.  I tend to use outdoor stores to have a hands on test and look at what I want to buy, then buy online.  Not very nice for them but a lot cheaper for me.

Offline JetstreamJonny

• Prepper
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2009, 12:32:54 PM »
Hello all - and specially to the new guys, welcome. Great to see the UK prepping community growing.
I just found the following on Snares, (on the anti-snaring campain website!) - to say they are legal is simplifying it rather!
"Snare Laws in England and Wales
The use of snares in Britain is regulated under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Under the Act it is an offence for a person:

1.to set a self-locking snare in such a way as to be calculated to cause bodily injury to any wild animal. (Section 11(1)(a).)
2.to kill or take any wild animal using a self-locking snare. (Section 11(1)(b).)

3.to set a snare (or other article) in such a way as to be calculated to cause bodily injury to any animal listed in Schedule 6 of the Act (e.g., a badger). (Section 11(2)(a).)

4.to kill or take any animal listed in Schedule 6 of the Act (e.g., a badger) using a snare. (Section 11(2)(b).)

5.who sets a snare to fail to inspect that snare (or have someone else inspect it) at least once every day. (Section 11(3)(b).)
6.to set any type of snare unless they are an 'authorised person' under the Act (that is, the owner or occupier of the land on which the snare is set, any person authorised by the owner or occupier of the land, or a person authorised in writing by the Local Authority for the area. (Section 27(1).)

7.to possess a snare for the purpose of committing any of the above offences. (Section 18(2).)
Under the Deer Act 1991 it is an offence to use snares to kill or take deer.

To sum up, the use of self-locking snares, the setting of any type of snare in places where they are likely to catch badgers, failure to inspect snares on a daily basis, and setting snares on land without permission, are all offences under the Wildlife and Countryside Act."

TomGood

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2009, 12:17:16 PM »
Greetings all

been awhile.. (hopefully this post will be ok and not break any kind of forum rules)

in my continuing dream of living the "good life" lifestyle,  i wanted to increase my veggie production and so last year i bought some true breed seeds instead of the the hybrid seeds stuff you usual get in seed packets.

after some research i bought a wide variety of different types from the following site

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

and so far I've not been disappointed.. I've had really good germination success (much better than last years store bought crop) and the harvest looks really promising and the quality as always with home grown is excellent.

anyhows whilst I'm in no way affiliated with the site or company i just thought id recommend the site as the service, product and support/instruction have been really good. i will update again next year when i harvest the seeds and see how well the 2nd generation germinates...

regards

Tom

ps
oh and id really like to increase my growing area next year and so would really like an allotment to increase my yield but after being on a number of lists for a while with no success I've pretty much given up hope of getting a allotment. however i recently heard a rumour that if you have 6 people interested in an allotment the council have to get find you a spot.. can anyone confirm or deny this???

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »
For clearance, short-dated, and out of date foods try:

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/  - I've bought from them and was pleased.   There are many things there with still a good date on them (i.e. I think I bought jam with a 2012 date on them) and if you are fussy about dates, getting short date items to eat soon can still save you money which you can spend on real preps!

Another company I know of for this type of thing is: http://www.foodbargains.co.uk/pages/food_bargains.html
but I have not ordered from them yet.

Look for shops own brands for tinned goods, or keep an eye out for the sales (look on the websites for the major supermarkets every week or so, to see what they have on special offer).   I find that buying from Asda (I do it online) saves me quite a lot of money. 

I'm thinking of setting up a shell company in order to buy from wholesalers - but as I still won't have huge orders due to budget, I'm not sure I will.

TomGood, I bought seeds from Realseeds and I think they are good.   

I would love to get some sort of group buy going on for various goods, but that only works if the people are near enough to divvy it up when it comes in.

Fenris

« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2009, 05:21:19 AM »
My first post and a virgin forum user (any forum for that matter) but just to say I’m in the UK, Sussex area working and traveling to London daily. Finally pulled my head out of the sand a year and 6 months ago and got to grips with my past that I had forgotten. spent many summers as a boy working on a farm in summerset, spent my life as kid out in wood never happy in house then I spent 8 year in the Territorial Army here in the UK left in 2000, helped as a scout leader for a few year but as like most people got stuck in to the day job to pay the bills for the thing we just did not need and drifted from my love of the outdoors.

But now were had chickens for a year and off to 1 day course next Sunday (egg to table) should be fun. Veg has been doing well but need to expand. Couple of fruit trees in last week.

And Have my shotgun licenses, great for shooting a few clays at the weekend and a bit of game, if required!!

So this is Fenris in the UK my first shout out one of many I hope.
 ::)

Offline Nirgal

• Prepper
  • The Idiots are winning. The Preacherman has spoken
    • P2S - Prepared to Survive
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
Hi Fenris. Not too far from you, although I am Norf of the river so-to-speak. Work in the smoke for my sins but in the process of looking for work elsewhere. Just can't stand being around this many people anymore.

I drop in here from time to time as this isn't my "first-job" but it's a great site with many transferable (to U.K.) skills.

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2009, 01:58:50 PM »
Hi Fenris, welcome to the forum :)

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2009, 04:59:57 PM »
Hi fenris,
welcome to the forum.

I'm from the US but my husband is English - from Somerset in fact, and he helped on some farms during holidays in his youth.  We have chickens too here in Oxon.

I hope you enjoy the boards here.

Offline Justin

• Prepper
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2009, 02:49:09 PM »
Hi Fenris

Glad to see more people on the British board.

I like the chickens and eggs and fruit trees (and shotgun) way of living you have going on.

I plan to get chicken and fruit trees as soon as we (the wife and me, not you and me...) move into our new home.  and get a springer spaniel.

Also planning a trip to my uncles in France to learn basket weaving this winter.  Not an essential skill, I grant you, but still handy to have.

Anyways, back to lurking...

:-)

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2009, 02:24:44 PM »
as soon as we (the wife and me, not you and me...)

Brilliant! LOL

Fenris

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, great to know there's a lot of like thinkers here in the UK. Just spent the last couple of weeks surfing the boards there's is some great information out there so much to take in.
Just been on a meat chicken course last weekend can recommend to anyone looking to keep both layers and meat birds at some stage. Call egg to table run by Moonraker farm just a simple smallholders plot. Any way be safe
fenris

Offline tiberius

• Banned
  • Prepper
  • Ignoring DEV Permanently
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »
Bump,
Hello there,
I'm from Liverpool, the North West, near Lancashire.
Any one in this neck of the woods?

Offline Tejun

• Prepper
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2010, 10:45:28 AM »
From Yorkshire.  Found the site through Google and listen to the podcasts on my Android phone.

I wonder who is the furthest north?

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2010, 04:49:56 PM »
Hello Tiberius and Tejun.   

Offline Spaghetti and Sauce

• Prepper
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2010, 11:06:24 AM »
Hello all. Completely new to prepping, and living in Hertfordshire UK.

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2010, 07:41:36 AM »
Hello all. Completely new to prepping, and living in Hertfordshire UK.

Hi Spaghetti and Sauce, glad to meet you.