Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Alternative Options For The Things You Use Everyday

<< < (3/19) > >>

susan1957:
I think the safest measure for food preservation (if you have no jars, and there is no electricity) is to dehydrate or dry them.  You can use a water bath canner for acidic foods, then for those foods that are not you must use a pressure cooker canner.  Freezing is ok but there are problems when there is a loss of electricity. 
You can grow your own beans and dry them, there are seasonal foods, Root vegetables can be stored in a cool dark cellar.  Root cellars might be a great option for storage. 
Wax is only to be used on jams and jellies storage. 
Grow vegetables that can be stored through the winter.  My great grandfather used to wrap green tomatoes in newspaper, store them under his bed and they would turn red and he'd have tomatoes in December. These were tomatoes he picked at the end of the growing season.  Turnip greens you can pick the greens early but later in the fall there is turnips you can pull up to eat.  Rutabagers (waxed turnips) can be covered in paraffin then stored in a cool dark place most of the winter.  Hubbard squash, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, are all good to store during the winter for winter meals.

DeltaEchoVictor:
Nice topic DarkEyes.

I'm going to pin this one to the top.  Let's try & keep the responses to tried & true methods & we'll start a database of our own.

spartan:

--- Quote from: DarkEyes on September 24, 2008, 11:10:55 AM ---On the canning, you boil the jars, put the hot food in them, leave about 1/4 of an inch of headway at the top, clean off any residue, melt the wax, pour about 1/8 th of an inch of wax on the top, wait for it to cool and then pour about 1/4 of an inch over that.  It seals.  When I was growing up, the lady next door to us did it with everything, we ate everything she cooked and never did get sick.

--- End quote ---

I have checked my references and cannot find this method for anything other than jellies.  PLEASE do not do this with your own foods.  Pickle, alcohol, or jelly: use one of these methods and not wax on hot pack or pressure canned foods.

flagtag:
Hair conditioner - mayonaise, or beer or egg whites
Baking soda - toothpaste
Body odor - shaving cream
Insect bites - salt or egg "skin" (the film on the outside of egg/inside shell)
Children's colds - Vicks on bottom of feet. (with socks, of course)

Also, keep used bar soap instead of throwing them away.  Double boiler - melt, cool, cut. (Add just a little water)

Conductor71:
Years ago, my doctor explained women shouldn't use talcum powder because the dust can travel internally and cause major problems.  She suggested corn starch.  My husband and I have been using it for years.  it works great!  We just keep it in an old powder dispenser and refill it using a funnel when it runs low.  It's much cheaper than talc powder and isn't so hazardous to your health ;) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version