Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Modern Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines

Falling Out of Love With the AR

<< < (2/11) > >>

Chemsoldier:
I just see few other niches.  It does most things well for modest size, weight and recoil.  While you can obviously take a lot more of all of those things, to what end?   You already stated you dont need the range capability of a more powerful cartridge.  The terminal ballistics advantage of something else at the distances you are talking about is marginal against unarmored targets, and the most common armor types that stop 5.56 is probably SAPI/ESAPI, which is rated to stop .30-06 AP, so probably heavier than you are slinging from something else.

The shotgun is badass in many situations, but it is inherently low capacity in most of its incarnations.  I am not saying it will not work in most circumstances, but if we were playing "what is most likely to need" we need a door lock and a cell phone, not a firearm of any sort.

Whatever floats your boat man.  I am not gonna look down my nose at whatever you want to use.  I have deliberately started working on my Scout Rifle skills so I can have a non-AR option for distance work, just in case the political winds change.  However, there is no magical brain power that can be applied to make the AR not a good choice for many applications either.

Smurf Hunter:
Context is key

Why assume you are outdoors patrolling or responding to some alert?

What if instead you had to go on offense, kick in a door and shoot 3 bad guys quickly?  I'd rather give up terminal ballistics of a heavy deer gun for fast accurate shots. Also not sure a shotgun has enough firepower when you have more than two targets CQB.

I'm not going to suggest my example is likely or your should be a top consideration, but that's where a carbine shines.  Likewise for urban and or vehicle operations.

David in MN:
Nothing I disagree with.

Context does matter. I am in no small part a function of the times. I was a teen during the Clinton Ban so when I was old enough and had the money yeah buddy I got an AR. And the media would make you believe it's some kind of magic death ray.

I ran mine in training and competition and I have no problem with it. My 3 year old has her lower (I bought it for her 2nd birthday much to mom's chagrin). It's a great gun to learn and train with. And it really is ideal for some purposes.

I'm not trying to poop on anybody's gun choices. When it comes to running a fast time or being unsure of range it's a good compromise. If Red Dawn happens I'll use mine. It's a good rifle and I think everyone should have a few. But as I've trained in with a longer range bolt gun I've found a new home. I don't think it's an accident that us northern climate people fall in love with big bolt guns. If I'm out hiking in northern MN bears are a realistic concern. Where I live 200 lb mountain lions are a concern.

I'm not saying it's not the best tactical carbine. I think it is. The current M4 blows everything out of the water. The ergos alone are second to none. I'm saying if I had to grab one rifle in my world it would be my .308 scout. And in the deep snows of winter I feel better with a big bolt. With big gloves, with snow in the bolt, with ice everywhere.. yeah, my opinion has changed.

I'm not making a blanket claim for the entire world. I went from a "high speed low drag" competitor to a long range enthusiast. And I've really struggled with the "for what" question. Snowshoeing in northern MN isn't duty patrol in Tikrit. ANd if I'm honest if I was door kicking I'll take an 870. Under 50 yards it's my choice.

I hope I'm not upsetting people. I really like the AR. It just doesn't fit my life as well as a traditional bolt. That could change. It just struck me odd that for the first time in a while when I wanted a rifle it wasn't the AR. It's been a weird thing to go through.

iam4liberty:

--- Quote from: David in MN on November 14, 2018, 12:49:48 PM ---I hope I'm not upsetting people. I really like the AR. It just doesn't fit my life as well as a traditional bolt. That could change. It just struck me odd that for the first time in a while when I wanted a rifle it wasn't the AR. It's been a weird thing to go through.

--- End quote ---

How dare you go and choose preps outside the norm which actually fit your needs!  ;)

Seriously, 20 years ago in the prepper community the 308 battle rifles like the M1A and HK were generally considered the top choices.  Look at works like Boston's Gun Bible and Fred's Guide for the logic.  But this was the time of 5 to15 cent a round 308.  Then it shifted dramatically to the smaller, lighter AR15, AK, and mini-14.  Truth is all of these are great options that, as long as build is done well, will let one control out to 500 yards. So are bolt rifles of the same calibers.

So, choose whichever is your passion and fits the budget.  Both are important for keeping practice up. The worst thing is letting hard earned skills fall off.

All this said, if you put a can on the AR it might rekindle that love a bit.  :)

cmxterra:
AR pistol for trunk gun or scout rifle. SCAR 17 for my save the homestead. 300BLK subsonic for home defense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version