Archived Boards (Read-Only) > 13Skills.com

Chem's 1 in 15 Ham Plan

<< < (9/11) > >>

Chemsoldier:
So its been eventful of late.

As I put on another thread:

"I have the new H/T (an FT-60R) in my sedan now with the speaker/hand microphone and magna mount. 

This weekend will install the new FT-2900 in my truck as well as a permanently mounted 1/4 wave antenna.  So I will now have a near permanent set up in both vehicles, the house, and a commo go bag."

But that's not all!

A buddy and I used a Stanley rolling toolbox as a shell to build a battery backup to the ham stand. 
Materials:
1 Stanley rolling toolbox
1 Deep Cycle Battery
1 CAT Charger / Charge Controller
1 800 Watt Inverter
Wires and stuff, some fasteners

Battery secured in the bottom of the box, charger and inverter fastened to the lid of the box.  Wires running from the terminals to the SAMLEX power supply for the ham stand (it is one made for battery back up, its an AC power supply that has the battery in on the back, when the AC power dies it automatically starts drawing from the battery). 

So, the battery is kept charged by the charger/charge controller.  When the power dies, the battery starts running the radio on the stand (just a 2 Meter for now).  Whoever is home unplugs the power strip for the stand that runs the laptop power supply, H/T chargers and AA/AAA charger; from the wall and plugs it into the 800 watt inverter and flips on the inverter.

Future steps:
1.  There is room in the box for a second deep cycle battery.
2.  Add other light drawing items like LED lights and a small fan for the summer
3.  Solar panels at some point.

I know, I know...this thread is worthless without pics.  I need to take some.

Smurf Hunter:
Possibly what I will miss most about not having a truck are the near endless possibilities for antenna installations. At one point I had 3 mounted in the bed.
While I prefer driving the newer sedan, I do have to take much more care with running cables and mounting components.  On the other hand, I have a vehicle that comfortably seats 4 adults, and a large locking trunk. 

machinisttx:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on March 22, 2016, 01:23:57 PM ---Possibly what I will miss most about not having a truck are the near endless possibilities for antenna installations. At one point I had 3 mounted in the bed.
While I prefer driving the newer sedan, I do have to take much more care with running cables and mounting components.  On the other hand, I have a vehicle that comfortably seats 4 adults, and a large locking trunk.

--- End quote ---

What I miss most about driving a truck is being able to toss anything and everything into the bed to haul it. Having to hook up a trailer or fight stuff into the back of my jeep, strap it to the roof rack...or put it on a hitch mounted carrier...are less than ideal for me.

Carl:
It sure takes a lot of work to get away from it all......... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Carl on March 23, 2016, 04:20:55 AM ---It sure takes a lot of work to get away from it all......... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

--- End quote ---

I once went for a walk into the forest with only a bottle of water, pocket knife and my dog.  Was gone a few hours and survived.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version