Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

Rifle carry with backpack

(1/3) > >>

HavanaHooligan:
I've got an Osprey Atmos 65 pack and plan to use it on a hunting trip.  I plan to hike to the location, not more than a day out.  I need some advise on how to carry the rifle so it's stowed and not banging my knees etc.
Thanks

Carl:
Carry it with the sling across your weak  shoulder in front of your body or with the sling around body of the pack vertical or in a vertical scabbard attached on the side or rear of the pack.
Best I can suggest as I am not familiar with your pack and body shape/size.Carry with sling on non shooting/weak side  and rifle in front is fastest to deploy but I prefer attached to the pack.

iam4liberty:
Adding to what Carl said, attached to side ussually works well for an ergonomic pack.  If you dont have a scabbard you can use a cloth bag attached to bottom of pack as shelf for buttstock and a side compression strap to sinch it tight to pack.  It is a good practice to place a balloon over muzzle to avoid rain or obstructions getting in barrel.  You will end up with something looking like this:

xxdabroxx:
Carrying my small day pack and rifle through the mountains this year (first year deer hunting) I have been putting my head through the sling and resting the sling on my left shoulder with the rifle at an angle across my back.  When I want it more accessible I switch to a more standard carry method of just on my right shoulder. 

HavanaHooligan:
Thanks guys.  I like the setup  that pack and if I can fashion a home remedy, all the better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version