Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

What to with a Coyote after a kill?

<< < (2/6) > >>

IronTeaCup:
so whats the hid good for? IE warmth, durability? also when is the best time to hunt them season wise?

trekker111:
A lot depends on where you live and what time of year it is. Back when I messed with skins, and lived in Michigan, properly skinned and stretched prime winter coyote hide would bring anywhere from $50 to $90, and the fur buyer was telling stories of hides from the northern rockies bringing $145. This was in the late 90's.

I moved from the peoples republic of Michigan in 2001 to SC. Down here the coyote hides don't get that nice prime winter coat, and even the best hides aren't worth the work. I shoot them and toss them in a gulley.

Regardless of your region, I know of no use for the rest of the carcass beyond baiting more coyotes.

Reducing their population helps every other animal population. In the historical range of the coyote, the ecosystem has formed with the coyote as part of it, and most problems are due more to coyotes exploiting new niches formed by the actions of humans. In the south east they were introduced by .gov and are running roughshod over the other animal populations, and killing everything from mice to deer.

I shoot coyotes to save deer, and especially turkeys. And they make great long range target practice.

If you plan on selling the hides, winter is the best time to hunt them, otherwise my mindset is shoot on sight with whatever is available.

The hides are used in coats, jackets, hats, scarves, globes/mittens, and especially trims.

TexasGirl:
Shooting coyotes helps save my chickens.  (They tore thru a fence and got two roosters this week.)  I just leave the coyote carcasses for the wild pigs... or bobcats, panthers, & cougars if it's fresh.  Nothing makes it to vulture stage here.

~TG

TexDaddy:
Where I grew up, the farmers and ranchers just skinned the coyote and hung the hide on a fence post. They believed it would scare other coyotes away. They just left the carcass for the carrion eaters.

nelson96:

--- Quote from: TexDaddy on February 15, 2015, 10:48:34 AM ---Where I grew up, the farmers and ranchers just skinned the coyote and hung the hide on a fence post. They believed it would scare other coyotes away. They just left the carcass for the carrion eaters.
--- End quote ---

We must be much lazier... I know a lot of Oregon farmers and ranchers who kill coyotes, none of them take the time and effort to skin a coyote just to hang it from the fence and a lot of them do hang it from their fence.  I've done the same, when one was near by. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version