Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

Bait for bobcats?

(1/2) > >>

2paranoid:
I had a bobcat jump the electric fence into my chicken run tonight. See the full story at http://appliedparanoiablog.com/2013/07/02/priceless/

My thought for deterring the cat on his next visit is to hang some bait on the fence using tinfoil strips. Hopefully he'll pause for a sniff and lick and get a little surprise that'll convince him to shop elsewhere.

So what's a good bait for bobcats? Besides chicken, of course.

TexasGirl:
Well, chicken is most any predator's favorite.  But Bobcat will go for rabbit, or most any small animal.  But keep in mind, given the choice of "bait" and your chickens, he/she will probably choose your chickens. 

Have you considered grocery store raw chicken in a trap?  Just having a shock wire will not be a deterrent, only a challenge for a cat (bobcat or coon.)

~TG

nelson96:
TG's right.

oktheniknow:
Heard from neighbor this morning who I had been keeping her horses in my pasture until some friends of hers got them a day ago while we were out. She said that the horses had scratches on them and thinks it is a big "cat".
Do bobcats normally go after horses?
Will see if I can get a game camera.

oktheniknow:
We also found a slaughtered doe in our driveway earlier this year. I had thought at the time that it was the neighbor's dog that has been known to go after does but now not so sure...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version