Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Fishing

How to fish when the bottom is covered with weeds

(1/1)

rustyknife:
Some good fishing spots can be covered with about 18" thick cover of weeds on the bottom. A good way to get around that is this set up. Put a swivel on the end of your line after you put a slip weight on the line.Attach a leader and hook about 24" long to the other end of the swivel. Now for bait I use a cocktail marsmellow. I put the marshmellow on the hook then let the sharp point extend out of the marshmellow just enough to attach a single salmon egg or small piece of worm.  From there cast out and let the weight take it to the bottom. Then give about 10 inches of slack or so. The rod will not have any tension on it.  What happens is the marshmellow floats and holds the bait above the weeds. As the fish swims by they will take the whole bait and you will see it on the rod tip however do not set the hook. Watch and wait. The fish will swallow the bait and hook and then try to swim away setting the hook it self. After that reel in your dinner. Good fishing.   

Tommy Jefferson:
Decades ago when I began hunting the wiley bass as a kid, we called this a "Texas Rig".  ;D

I haven't fished in years, but I still have all my Texas Rig leaders somewhere here in my garage.

rustyknife:
I've used this rig quite effectiveally on several lakes and ponds I fish. The only downside I can think of is plan on eating whatever you catch..they usually swallow the whole rig so they can't be easily unhooked.

FreeSpirit:

--- Quote from: rustyknife on March 29, 2009, 09:18:36 PM ---I've used this rig quite effectiveally on several lakes and ponds I fish. The only downside I can think of is plan on eating whatever you catch..they usually swallow the whole rig so they can't be easily unhooked.

--- End quote ---
The use of a circle hook will fix that problem.

monger20:
Im not much for bait fishing - with the exception to catfishing ***CAUTION!!! USING A ROD AND REEL MAY CAUSE HANGOVERS*** nice one millwright

This rig works will for big predator fish.

the hook: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58035_100010002_100000000_100010000_100-10-2
the lure: http://www.unclejosh.com/unclejosh/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/123/page/1/id/90/name/ITSBACKPorker

Its not for the amateur but great for the big ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version