Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Fishing

Anybody for bluegill around here?

<< < (2/7) > >>

flyfisher66048:
Just got back from a little pond in MO.  Fished from my kayak using my fly rod.  Great Fun catching panfish and bass with hoppers.

The Fishin Magician:
Sorry I'm a little late to this thread...I don't frequent this forum as often as I should.

I'm a bona-fide Bluegill fanatic! I prefer to fish for Bluegill and other panfish over any of the other "sportfish/gamefish". Usually, I target Bluegill, Redear Sunfish ("Shellcrackers"), Redbreast Sunfish and Spotted Sunfish. Those are the most abundant in my area of Southwest Florida. These fish might be small when compared to Bass, but they fight with heart! They have my complete respect.

Not only are they excellent eating, but they're often found in abundance and are pretty easy to catch with minimal gear.

I use 10 pound test green Spiderwire line (diameter of 4 pound test ), with a 2 or 3 foot 4 to 6 pound test fluorocarbon leader joined by a barrel swivel or tied "line-to-line" with a blood knot. I stick with a light wire long shank hook (not sure of size) and two or three BB-sized removable split shot weights (I also "freeline" sometimes when the weight is not necessary).

Nine times out of ten I usually use live crickets for bait, but have also had incredible success using Berkley Gulp! Maggots in Natural White and the discontinued Earthworms in Brown, along with the Berkley Gulp! "Alive!" Waxies in White and the  1" Minnows in Smelt.

Normally, I use ultralight rods and reels...I own about a half dozen different ones, but my go-to combo is my 5 foot Ultralight Shakespeare Excursion 2-piece rod and Shakespeare Synergy Supreme Ultralight reel. 

There's more Bluegill lovers than you might think, out there. Here's one fella from Michigan who has his own website dedicated to the scrappy lil' fish...
http://www.2lbgil.com/

pappabear:
bluegills are my favorite, and they taste better than just about anything else i've ever caught.

pappa bear

Docwatmo:
Love panfish, and we have so much more fun fishing for them than game fish with the kids.  (I'm an old crappie lover myself but a bunch of slab blues make for a very good day indeed.

OKGranny:

--- Quote from: Docwatmo on June 22, 2010, 08:54:19 PM ---Love panfish, and we have so much more fun fishing for them than game fish with the kids.  (I'm an old crappie lover myself but a bunch of slab blues make for a very good day indeed.

--- End quote ---

Another crappie lover!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version