Archived Boards (Read-Only) > 13Skills.com

Fiber Arts Support Thread

<< < (3/14) > >>

PorcupineKate:

--- Quote from: Avlor on February 02, 2013, 08:53:11 PM ---

I'm sorry you have the allergy!!! :(   Have you tried alpaca and llama?  As I understand it, they don't have lanolin.  (I have friends who raise both types of animals and have spun both fibers.)  Now, the animals both roll in the dirt quite a bit and if the fiber's not washed well, that really could cause problems.  If you've tried them, there may be something else to your allergy.  But I'm obviously not an allergy expert.  Just hoping that maybe you could play with some animal fibers.

--- End quote ---

Sadly I am allergic to both Alpaca and Llama too.  I discovered this when I spent 2 weeks in Peru.  All that great low cost alpaca and I can't wear it. 

I will have to look into spinning silk.  It may be a while ...

Avlor:
@Cedar - such lovely yarn you dyed and a great sock too!

@Frugal Upstate - I hear you on the brainless knitting.  I usually do vanilla socks so I have just the simple knitting!

@Soccer Grannie - I'll have to check out his other tutorials.  It's been quite a while since I've done crochet.

@PorcupineKate - Doh! :(  I'm sorry!   Silk is lovely and available in many forms.  Let us know when you decide to try it.

LJH:

Avlor, thanks for starting this thread, I was going to and you beat me to it!  >:(  ;) Cool.

I make my living as a quilter, specifically a longarm quilter, and would be delighted to contribute anything helpful in that skill set. Also general sewing subjects as well as cross-stitch and needlepoint (in a former life I worked as a cross-stitch designer) so fire away with any questions re: all of the above. If I don't know the answer I can probably get it from friends in the industry.

And you better believe I'll be checking the fiber arts subjects often to pick y'all's brains about knitting and weaving. They're not on my 13, but I could sure use a little massive impovement in both areas.

Avlor:
@LJH - (I'll  do my best to resist  saying  "nanner, nanner".  *wink* )   It's  fun  to  know  you were  thinking  the same thing!

Ooh, quilting -  I've only tried that once. Such a delightful craft!

---
@everyone
 You all  are so inspiring!  You're making me want to try so many more crafts!

LJH:

--- Quote from: Avlor on February 03, 2013, 08:20:03 PM ---@LJH - (I'll  do my best to resist  saying  "nanner, nanner".  *wink* )   It's  fun  to  know  you were  thinking  the same thing!

Ooh, quilting -  I've only tried that once. Such a delightful craft!

---
@everyone
 You all  are so inspiring!  You're making me want to try so many more crafts!

--- End quote ---

Great minds, eh?  ;D And ditto everyone being so inspiring! I just posted my 13 and haven't read through all of the others yet, but what I've seen is impressive. Onward!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version