Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Medical Needs and First Aid

M.O.V.E.!

<< < (3/4) > >>

Taylor3006:
" Jaw thrusts do work well...in the ER. This type of medicine, for an austere location, doesn't lend itself well to traditional protocols. This article is also limited in scope only talking about gunshot wounds. High velocity motor vehicle accidents are another kettle of fish."

I suppose, never tried it in the ER, I ran meat wagons for 6 years and worked in the field. Never had any problem with it on the sides of roads, decks of ships, or in the field. Had a few weird situations with car accidents (rollovers where the patient is upside down in the restraint) where it only worked while I kept my hands in place while the firemen were cutting the vehicle open and another where the car was partially submerged in water and the patient was slumped sideways in the water. Stuff like that tends to cause a bit of problems, but nothing that figured out. I was only a corpsman though, working in the field was always a bit austere but never where we couldn't get medevacs or a vehicle out to the patient. You must work in some really rugged terrain. I agree that tension pnemos are true emergencies, think I said it a couple of times and require immediate medical care by trained medics (whatever their stripe). As I explained if medical care is fairly close by or at hand, I would not ever suggest that someone who has read an article in a book (or internet) and with no advanced training (this goes way beyond basic first aid) start poking people in the chest with a needle. That was my point. Nothing more, nothing less. And yes am tall and thin, my body type tends towards spontaneous pnemo. Got a VATS done on both the ol airbags so shouldn't ever happen again. Anyways as I said, good and interesting article.

19kilo I agree, was trained and practiced doing needle decompress but never had the opportunity. Got to play with some chest tube insertions many times though in the ER, if ya got blood ya got a hemo pnemo, air ya just got a pnemo.

I still think the safety pin thru the tongue and lip is funny, wouldn't want to do it to a patient unless their tongue and lip were already pierced though. Well maybe if they were annoying I would, ya know the kind that gets all combative in the back of an ambulance so ya give them a few smacks with a bag of NSS.

James Yeager:
Guys - I didn't come here to start a turf war. I merely posted that article to motivate people who have never considered trauma care to think about it.  I just wanted to take away some of the mystery and encourage folks to get some training.

flagtag:
If it wasn't so expensive, I would love to get into it.  I did check into EMT, but it was too expensive and the classes were too far away. (We don't even have Advanced First Aid classes around here any more.  :( )

James Yeager:
I don't know where you live but there are a lot of classes around the country that take all of the stuff you don't need out and compress in what you do need.

19kilo:

--- Quote from: flagtag on December 02, 2008, 09:17:36 PM ---If it wasn't so expensive, I would love to get into it.  I did check into EMT, but it was too expensive and the classes were too far away. (We don't even have Advanced First Aid classes around here any more.  :( )

--- End quote ---

I think that if you have a volunteer fire department in you area, you can learn a lot of stuff.  I could be wrong but I think some pay for EMT training.

I would love to do it, but I'm working two jobs already.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version