Author Topic: Food prices increasing, possible shortages (merged topics)  (Read 382876 times)

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Food prices increasing, possible shortages (merged topics)
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2011, 01:29:42 PM »
As you can see just on this thread there is news link after news link after news link. The threat of food shortages and increasing food prices is hitting the media world wide. This has to have an affect on fear. And you all know that fear is a great motivator for buying. Even people who are not thinking about it will see news links like this and buy more than usual. Don't you think?

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »
I think going to war with the US over food is going to be an absolute last resort.  In a major war, the participating nations are all going to be diverting food production into sustaining the military, including the production of biofuels.  They will do this to the extent that they will short their own civilian population.  The US did this during WWII and I have no doubt that we would do it again if the situation arose.

I do believe that those nations whom we supply with foodstuffs would take a run at us, and any other supplier nation to them, through economic and diplomatic means.  That is, China would tie its exports to the US with our exports of food to them.  We don't ship food; they don't ship computers, clothing, etc.  I think the same would happen with oil producing nations who export to us with much more immediately damning consequences.  Pushed far enough, I think even our Government would loosen restrictions on domestic drilling and other fuel production enterprises, but it would take time to ramp up production.  I am less than certain we have that much time to spare with our current situation.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
Even people who are not thinking about it will see news links like this and buy more than usual. Don't you think?

Not unless the crises is at their doorstep, or has already happened. I wonder how many New Yorkers were out looking for a grocery store 12 hours into the storm.

What's the deal with Mountain House being out of stock of practically every item they sell?

endurance

« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2011, 02:12:16 PM »
What's the deal with Mountain House being out of stock of practically every item they sell?
The understanding I had from the e-mails I received from two mountain house suppliers is that they've put maximum limits on all their retail customers based on past purchase patterns because they were essentially at the capacity of their production.  Demand has been up for since 2008/2009 when the economic crisis started and they have two choices; invest in new production capacity for what might be short term demand (ending after 12/21/12) or just keep production at capacity until the wave passes.

Other FD manufacturers like Providant Pantry, NitroPak and others haven't implimented the same limitations... yet...

Personally, I'm already in a comfortable position in most areas for food storage.  I need a good source of egg noodles and then it's all down to garden production and maintenance to serve as my buffer for the coming food shortages.

Don't forget Costco has some great prices for FD food on their website including one year family packages.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2011, 02:28:20 PM »
Personally, I'm already in a comfortable position in most areas for food storage.  I need a good source of egg noodles and then it's all down to garden production and maintenance to serve as my buffer for the coming food shortages.

Make your own egg noodles. Then you are good to go.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2011, 02:30:39 PM »
With all this going on , can you imagine how silly it would be for our country to devote 25% of its grain production to making bio fuels. Oh, and imagine if the government subsidized it too. Glad that isn't happening here. ::)

endurance

« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
Make your own egg noodles. Then you are good to go.
You may as well have said "just scratch your ear with your elbow" with my prowess in the kitchen.  I'm sure it's a perfectly rational suggestion, but I think you have me confused with someone who has a clue at the stove. ;)

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »
You may as well have said "just scratch your ear with your elbow" with my prowess in the kitchen.  I'm sure it's a perfectly rational suggestion, but I think you have me confused with someone who has a clue at the stove. ;)

LOL. Sorry about your lack of culinary skills. I do have a recipe though, should you ever want to try it. It's surprisingly easy.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #188 on: January 15, 2011, 08:11:23 AM »
LOL. Sorry about your lack of culinary skills. I do have a recipe though, should you ever want to try it. It's surprisingly easy.

I'm all ears.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
More...  

From Chairman of Unilever, who undoubtedly keeps up with food supply & prices since

Unilever buys 12pc of the world's tea to make brands such as PG Tips and Liptons. It also purchases 6pc of the world's tomato supply for its leading brands such as Knorr soup and Pot Noodle.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/davos/8261856/Unilever-chief-warns-over-global-crisis-in-food-output.html

and msm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41062817/ns/business-consumer_news/

nkawtg

« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2011, 08:48:13 AM »
Here is a Breitbart article on this subject. Lester Brown has been beating the drums for decades about sustainability, and even though I don't share his beliefs about sea levels and global warming, I do agree with his conclusions about the world being at a tipping point both natural and polititcal. He is educated in agrecultural science and has done much work to increase food production in third world countries. We are "one poor harvest" from chaos.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.999426eed38d24123132435f3d303867.31&show_article=1

endurance

« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
Here is a Breitbart article on this subject. Lester Brown has been beating the drums for decades about sustainability, and even though I don't share his beliefs about sea levels and global warming, I do agree with his conclusions about the world being at a tipping point both natural and polititcal. He is educated in agrecultural science and has done much work to increase food production in third world countries. We are "one poor harvest" from chaos.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.999426eed38d24123132435f3d303867.31&show_article=1
+1 nice find.

Within that link there's a link to Brown's website and he's giving his book away for free in Adobe!  Here.  There's also a pretty good quick and dirty powerpoint on the world grain shortage. 

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »
Ok, it has been awhile since I needed to purchase pasta. I had plenty in my pantry such as elbows, angel hair, liguine; however, the angel hair pasta needed to be restocked, went to Wally World and holy crap, last time I bought angel hair it was .50 a box, now it is $1. I had shopped at the farmer's market all summer and my grocery store trip was quite depressing.

I make my homemade noodles and now perhaps I will investigate how to make some shapes and practice making really skinny noodles!

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »
I stocked up on pasta last weekend also and thought the same thing. But I did find something cool. Over in the mexican food isle they also have pasta. that is where I found .33 bags of pasta stars and alphabets and made the grand boys some homemade chicken alphabet soup with my canned broth and chicken. All they could say while they were eating it was "Nanna this is really really good."

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »
I'm all ears.
Sorry. It's been a few days since I was on here! Here ya go:
2 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour
3 egg yolks
1 egg
2 tsp salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup water

Make a well in flour, add egg yolks, egg and salt and mix thoroughly. mix in water 1 tbsp at a time until dough is stiff but easy to roll. divide in dough in fourths. Roll one part at a time and cover remaining. Roll into paper thin rectangle on generously floured cloth covered board. Loosely fold rectangle lengthwise into thirds and cut crosswise into 1/8  or 1/4inch strips. Unfold and place on towel until stiff and dry.
Break into smaller pieces and cook in water until tender.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »
Ok, it has been awhile since I needed to purchase pasta. I had plenty in my pantry such as elbows, angel hair, liguine; however, the angel hair pasta needed to be restocked, went to Wally World and holy crap, last time I bought angel hair it was .50 a box, now it is $1. I had shopped at the farmer's market all summer and my grocery store trip was quite depressing.

I make my homemade noodles and now perhaps I will investigate how to make some shapes and practice making really skinny noodles!

I had a similar experience on the beans and rice aisle recently... I thought maybe I was losing my mind... it couldn't have doubled , could it?

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »
the LDS Cannery here in Tucker Ga. just raised there prices and I would think the price increase would apply to all there locations. Some of the price increase are listed below and the prices are for the number 10 cans.

Milk > .85
Potato Flakes > .45
Carrots > .40
Spaghetti > .75
Macaroni > .55
Apples > .20
Sugar > .65
Red Wheat > .10
White Wheat > .20

The pinto beans and oat prices remained the same.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »
We buy a cheap ground beef (high fat content) to use in spagetti sauce, etc. I just noticed today, that from one trip to the next, it had gone up $.11/lb, a 5% increase.

The good, grass fed, hormone free stuff we buy recently went up almost 20%.

I many have to put a couple of Herefords in the backyard.  ;D

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »

Corn Prices To Soar As Chinese Imports Increase Ninefold!

If correct look for food and beef to soar! Too bad it's buried in this thread! I guess poor Americans are going to more eat rice.While rich Chinese eat beef!

kiteflyer

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/corn-prices-soar-chinese-imports-increase-ninefold-compared-official-projections

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »
I was more prepared for gas going back over $3.00 a gal - but at the local Safeway - bacon for 7 dollars a lb....

I guess that trip I learned a few things,

1) I don't buy bacon often to keep track of the price
2) Safeway is not cheap
3) I need to stock up on more long term ( 1 year or more) food.
4) Yoder’s Canned Bacon still costs way too much - but might be a fair deal considering what Safeway charges.

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2011, 09:01:41 AM »
    Once again Food Shortages are creeping into 2011 picture with most food grains,remember to prep for food because you can't eat metal!

kiteflyer

Drought endangers Chinese winter wheat !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110208/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_un_china_drought

Yoder's Bacon taste terrible on reviews posted on line.

I was more prepared for gas going back over $3.00 a gal - but at the local Safeway - bacon for 7 dollars a lb....

I guess that trip I learned a few things,

1) I don't buy bacon often to keep track of the price
2) Safeway is not cheap
3) I need to stock up on more long term ( 1 year or more) food.
4) Yoder’s Canned Bacon still costs way too much - but might be a fair deal considering what Safeway charges.

homeshow

« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »

Corn Prices To Soar As Chinese Imports Increase Ninefold!

If correct look for food and beef to soar! Too bad it's buried in this thread! I guess poor Americans are going to more eat rice.While rich Chinese eat beef!

kiteflyer

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/corn-prices-soar-chinese-imports-increase-ninefold-compared-official-projections

good time to buy a cow for the back yard!

endurance

« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the price of organically raised grass fed beef will rise proportionately to the corn fed commercial beef.  I'd hope to see some disconnect due to lower operating costs for the grass fed producers.  Wouldn't it be ironic if grass fed actually became cheaper again???

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2011, 05:40:46 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the price of organically raised grass fed beef will rise proportionately to the corn fed commercial beef.  I'd hope to see some disconnect due to lower operating costs for the grass fed producers.  Wouldn't it be ironic if grass fed actually became cheaper again???
It would be great, but, where we get ours, at least, it has gone up more and more quickly. Higher operating cost have caused many producers to slaughter out early.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2011, 06:13:36 PM »
It would be great, but, where we get ours, at least, it has gone up more and more quickly. Higher operating cost have caused many producers to slaughter out early.

the more people come to realize how good it is, the higher the price will go;

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2011, 06:16:59 PM »
the more people come to realize how good it is, the higher the price will go;
And there is that. Increased demand for the good stuff and less demand for the junk.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Global Food Price Spikes - NPR
« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:04 AM »
 global food prices and what sounds like possible shortages was on NPR today:

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2011/02/09/global-food-price-spikes

2008 was a bad year for global food supplies. A real pinch.

Now, just over two years later, the pinch is back. The U.N.’s global food price index is at a record high. Experts say the era of “cheap food” is ending. That’s good for farmers with food to sell, but hard for everybody else.

It’s a factor in the unrest in the Middle East. It can push inflation all over, and it leaves people hungry. We’ve got high global demand, smaller crop yields, bad weather – maybe from climate change – and biofuels cutting into food crops.  It’’s a recipe for trouble.

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »

Grass fed takes longer to get to optimum weight and alot of patures used to start cattle aren't robust enough to finish them.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Global Food Price Spikes - NPR
« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »
I think we need to add that the population has grown to a level that isn't sustainable either.  We are the only species on the planet that doesn't balance with the earth...

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »

FYI! Hope  all here have foreseen this! It not going down either!

kiteflyer

Grain Prices Rally Toward 2008 Records!!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-02-09/grain-prices-rally-toward-2008-records-on-shrinking-world-supply.html