Staple products found in our childhood kitchens, bathrooms, garages, etc

<< < (2/7) > >>

d3nni5:

More Workbench..

Boiled Linseed Oil
WD-40
Acetone

r_w:
Bag balm.  In the medicine cabinet, work bench, and laundry room (for after using the hard lye soap all morning)

Hard lye soap, simple lye and lard with too much lye as a stain scrubber. 

Iodine.

d3nni5:
Laundry Room:

woolite

bcksknr:
     We used to have a product called "Oil-O-Sol". It was a pale yellow oil that I now realize had an odor of Linseed oil and pine.  When I got a sliver that was too deep to dig out, My mother would put on a bandaid , with the pad soaked in the stuff and by the next day, the sliver had "drawn" to the surface and could be pulled out with a tweezer. Worked every time. No longer available, I made up some linseed oil and thinned it with a little turpentine. It works just as well. Never got infected either.

r_w:

--- Quote from: bcksknr on June 13, 2015, 02:16:38 PM ---     We used to have a product called "Oil-O-Sol". It was a pale yellow oil that I now realize had an odor of Linseed oil and pine.  When I got a sliver that was too deep to dig out, My mother would put on a bandaid , with the pad soaked in the stuff and by the next day, the sliver had "drawn" to the surface and could be pulled out with a tweezer. Worked every time. No longer available, I made up some linseed oil and thinned it with a little turpentine. It works just as well. Never got infected either.

--- End quote ---

We had something called Iodex for that.  Drawing salve with iodine in it.  It is still available but not the same as it used to be :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version