Author Topic: Knives to go with you  (Read 46914 times)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Knives to go with you
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:04:01 PM »
What knives are you taking with you? Axes and saws are legal  ;D

ESEE 5
Izula
Folding Saw

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Knives to go with you
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »
This is what I carry with me daily. And I usually use it daily.

Cedar

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »
That's really smart. I may add one of those really thin box cutters to my bag with a few extra blades.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 07:16:33 PM »
Mine go into my left rear pocket of my jeans daily.. And I am totally hooped if I forget it when I get dressed for the day. I do wear it into schools and elsewhere. But I probably use it 5-6x a day here at the farm, and I use it at gleaners alot too.

Cedar

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:13:26 PM »
SAK of some sort.  I carry a mini champ on my key chain.  Lately in my pocket it has been a Vic deluxe climber.  Basically it's a climber model with pliers.

Mora
Parang
Bow saw

endurance

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 08:25:05 PM »
What knives are you taking with you? Axes and saws are legal  ;D

ESEE 5
Izula
Folding Saw
where are we going? ;)

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »
where are we going? ;)

"On an adventure!"  As my 3 year old says.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »
where are we going? ;)

We're goin' on a bear hunt

We're going to catch a big one,

I'm not scared

What a beautiful day!

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 10:04:50 PM »
Picnic, 3 hour tour, bug out, It's A Small World ride or anywhere else that could turn out to be a problem.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 10:41:18 PM »
I've a folding knife in my purse, very much like this but liner locked, standeyo.com/News_Files/FTP_Files/DFPlanImp.zip
I bought a few last year for stocking stuffers, I had a nicer one that went when my purse was stolen earlier this year, but this one is ok and often a Mora 2 knife around the mountain. I always have the mora knife in my basket of goodies I bring to tutor. This week I was careless pulling it out of its sheath to cut their apples (for snacking while I read story) This was a much better experience than the cut I got last month with a dull serrated kitchen knife. Knife was so sharp, it didnt even hurt. I now feel much better about this being the knife we killed that old laying hen with last fall. I have other Mora knives sprinkled around, in the get home bag etc... I dont have anything fancy.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »
I always carry a camillius barricuda folder in my back right pocket, and a deluxe boy scouts of america pocket knife in my front pocket.

When camping with the scouts I add a Mora.

When camping on my own, which usually means back country camping several miles from 2 wheel drive vehicle access, or several hours by canoe, and includes hunting, I replace the Mora on my belt with my knives of Alaska - Alaskan bush camp, and put the Mora in my pack.

I am currently field trialing a sog tactical tomahawk, but the jury is still out. A usually carry a forged old style tomahawk.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 11:19:01 PM »
In my kit, I have:

Busse Steelheart II --or-- Busse Basic 7
Scrapyard Knives Scrapivore
Leatherman Wave
2 Spyderco Endura Waves

However, both the wife and I have been evaluating the Scrapyard Knives Mudd Mutt to replace the Steelheart/Basic 7.  They're smaller knives (5" vs 7+") and a lot lighter.  There's nothing wrong with the previous two knives.  We've had them over 20 years with absolutely no complaints.  My Steelheart has seen action in Panama in 1989 and in both Iraq and Afghanistan (It's in my will that I will be buried with it).  We're doing everything we can to lighten our gear.  I was rather impressed with the Scrapivore's performance over our earlier neck knives (Becker Neckers) that we swapped both of them out.   When they came out with the Mud Mutt, I snagged on an original and a "stealth" (black handle) model. 

When we go camping, we seem to need a larger knife less and less.  I'm not generally a big fan of batoning since we practice cold camps, for the most part, anyway.  And, since we carry Cold Steel Trailhawks, most of our chopping is done with those.

The Professor

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 06:53:55 AM »
Depends.

Day to day: Sog Trident because I don't feel bad beating it up.
In the shop: Some kind of utility knife. I'm partial to the Milwaukee folder. Opens one handed and the clip works well.
If I'm actually worried something will go wrong: Leatherman Wave. Keep one in each car and emergency kit. I just find it clunky to carry.
On a bike ride: Topeak Alien II tool. This little thing can do almost anything for on the spot bike repair which can save the day. It has a knife.  ;)
In the wild: Knives of Alaska Cub Bear for detail work. I'll have a camp axe too but I'm not that picky on them.
On vacation or at the cabin: Swiss Army Camper. The tweezers get the most use but it's the corkscrew that really saves the day. In Europe this handy little guy lets you pick up wine, cheese, fruits, and bread and enjoy a picnic in the park for cheap. I'm pretty sure the saw was always meant to be a bread knife.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 08:27:05 AM »
In my kit, I have:

Busse Steelheart II --or-- Busse Basic 7
Scrapyard Knives Scrapivore
Leatherman Wave
2 Spyderco Endura Waves

However, both the wife and I have been evaluating the Scrapyard Knives Mudd Mutt to replace the Steelheart/Basic 7.  They're smaller knives (5" vs 7+") and a lot lighter.  There's nothing wrong with the previous two knives.  We've had them over 20 years with absolutely no complaints.  My Steelheart has seen action in Panama in 1989 and in both Iraq and Afghanistan (It's in my will that I will be buried with it).  We're doing everything we can to lighten our gear.  I was rather impressed with the Scrapivore's performance over our earlier neck knives (Becker Neckers) that we swapped both of them out.   When they came out with the Mud Mutt, I snagged on an original and a "stealth" (black handle) model. 

When we go camping, we seem to need a larger knife less and less.  I'm not generally a big fan of batoning since we practice cold camps, for the most part, anyway.  And, since we carry Cold Steel Trailhawks, most of our chopping is done with those.

The Professor

A 5" the Mudd Mutt is a great size. I didn't know Busse owned them and included their no questions warranty. Unfortunately, it lists that model as no longer for sale :(

nelson96

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
This is what I carry with me daily. And I usually use it daily.

Cedar

You would probably like a Havalon Piranta then.  I carry a knife exactly like yours around the farm as an EDC, but I carry the Piranta when I'm hunting.  It offers multiple blade lengths (I carry two sizes).

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 09:35:23 AM »
You would probably like a Havalon Piranta then.  I carry a knife exactly like yours around the farm as an EDC, but I carry the Piranta when I'm hunting.  It offers multiple blade lengths (I carry two sizes).

I will have to look them up, but my 'knife' I carry, is $10 for three of them at Home Depot. I do not cry if I lose one. (I have not yet though).

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 09:49:52 AM »
I will have to look them up, but my 'knife' I carry, is $10 for three of them at Home Depot. I do not cry if I lose one. (I have not yet though).

Cedar

I would certainly not argue that point, which is why I carry them myself around the farm.  But as you know, the right tool for the job applies sometimes too. 

I had my elk field dressed this year in something like 10 minutes, using only it and a bone saw (used only to split the pelvis).  Very clean and quick job.  GROSS ALERT...  It was very easy to ream the anus, pull the penis down (toward the anus) and out of the way, while leaving the testicles attached to one of the hind quarters (a rule in my state).  Then I opened the barrel and slid everything out the back.  Cleanly losing all that I wanted rid of, out the back, and leaving all that I wanted to remain.  This is something I have always been able to do, but the Piranta made it easier.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »
Yeah. I would not use my EDC as a butcher knife... I got others for that. I thought this was a EDC thread.. my apologies.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »
Yeah. I would not use my EDC as a butcher knife... I got others for that. I thought this was a EDC thread.. my apologies.

Cedar

That was kinda my point.  Though every day means "every day", my strategy is to choose from several depending on the day and predicted need.  The Piranta is my EDC for hunting, the knife you use is my EDC around the farm, a Kersahw Onion is my EDC for work.

I don't use my Piranta or your chosen EDC for butchering, that would be another knife, which would never be an EDC.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 11:33:07 AM »

Cedar

This is part of my thing too -- my EDC blades need to be inexpensive and good for what they need to do and not cost alot to replace and to have multiples of as I often do not have pockets or a belt, etc...

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »
A 5" the Mudd Mutt is a great size. I didn't know Busse owned them and included their no questions warranty. Unfortunately, it lists that model as no longer for sale :(

If you really want them, go to Ebay and put it in as your interests (just use "Busse").  When you go to their website, you'll then see listings for Busse knives.  Put in >$100, otherwise you'll get every jackwagon who makes kydex sheaths or paracord lanyards.  I see new ones pop up all the time.  I actually got my "stealth" version (black handle instead of green one) that way right after the Knob Creek gunshow (Busse goes there and sells off his excess inventory and some prototypes).   

The regular ones went for around $119.   I see them about once a month for $120 to $150 new, mainly since they're discontinued.

The Professor

Plus, if you don't mind an orange handle, they do still have the Safety Mutt for $119.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 11:54:45 AM »
Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for one.

For me it comes down to having a 4-5 inch knife, backup, and a saw. I'll probably take a hatchet if situations allow me to. 

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »
I keep a CRKT minimalist on my belt. Soon I'll have a nice piece from Patrick over at MT knives to carry around :D

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »
I should have probably titled this what knives you have in your bag or what does your blade system look like and why.

Swiss Army Knife because it's lighter than a Leatherman and I don't use the pliers much. It also has a saw and two straight edge blades.

Mora Bushcraft stainless because it's a great backup and doesn't weight much. It's great for carving and making feather sticks.

Ontario SP46 with a custom sheath. It's a very thick knife that feels comfortable in my hand. It also has a great heat treatment.

Folding saw

Depending on what is going on this could change, but this is the combination I'm most comfortable with and gives me the best amount of versatility.

endurance

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 01:09:39 PM »
It really depends on the situation.  Day to day, I carry a 3.1" bladed H&K folder and it works for me for everything from opening boxes to cutting my steak if my waitress forgets to bring my steak knife.  During hunting season I carry a Wyoming Knife (note: mine is older and metal, but I've heard acceptable reviews of the newer plastic ones, too), a Havalon Piranta, a Mora 780, and a folding saw.

When I run calls, I have this in my right bunker pocket:

Which includes: Utility blade knife, Leatherman Wave, Pen light, small Sharpie, metric allen wrench set, lock pick set, 4 zip ties, 8" crescent wrench, folding spanner wrench, 3/8 drive ratchet with universal Gator socket, 4-way screwdriver, 18650 powered flashlight, blade screwdriver, wire cutters (dykes).  My other pockets are equally full, but with different stuff. ;)

My "bag" has whatever knives I don't have another use for.  It's probably my old 7" blade SOG, but it might be my 5.5" H&K, or it might be just another Mora 780 since I have a plethora of those around.  My "bag" is generally stuff that doesn't have another station of duty and if it gets ripped off out of my trunk while I'm at work, I won't be devastated.  It's certainly not my best stuff.  The leatherman is likely a knock off I got for $5 instead of the real thing, the water bottle likely to be something I got at a mountain bike race (or disposable). 

My best kit goes with me.  The rest sits in a bag or on the shelf.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 01:28:40 PM »
At work I carry a cheap folder for cutting holes in acid bottles (pool) and a Leatherman Sidekick for everything else.  On the weekends I substitute the cheap folder with an Ontario RAT1 or RAT3 folder.

In my day pack I have a hatchet and multiple fixed blades including a Mora Companion.

Offline cynicalcyclist

• Prepper
  • Beaufort Traditional
    • Top Predator
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »
I usually have three knives on me daily, especially at work. Always a Milwaukee folding box cutter with the one handed opening, my Leatherman Surge, and a Terrier Blades Necky around my neck. Keep 'em sharp, and never a problem getting something open:)

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2015, 05:36:10 PM »

I carry one of these two pending on what I feel like that day. One is too big for school or some of my pants.

I love the deployment of the CRKt but the size sometimes scares people. The benchmade is perfect for most situations for anything you want to do and I just generally love bench mades more than anything else more based off of personal experience but both have been carried and used for at least 3 years daily

Offline cynicalcyclist

• Prepper
  • Beaufort Traditional
    • Top Predator
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 07:38:07 PM »
Here is what my little neck knife looks like.

Offline msparks

• Survivor
    • Michael Sparks, Journey to success
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
Bark River Gunny, Leatherman Tool (originial), Queen stockman. Depending where I'm going I may also have on me a Bark River Rogue Bowie or Smoke Jumper. I also sometimes carry a Case peanut as a backup weapon. (just kidding)