Author Topic: Difference in SOG knives between different dealers  (Read 1592 times)

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Difference in SOG knives between different dealers
« on: October 28, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »
So while walking around Dicks Sporting Goods today I saw they carry the SOG Seal Pup fixed blade knife made out of AUS 7 steel for $59.99, and I thought it was kinda cheap. When I got home I looked online and Gander Mtn. sells the same knife for $79.99 and the closest thing on SOGs website was a Seal Pup made out of AUS 8 steal and powder coated for $98.50.

Whats the difference between Aus 6 and 8 and is it worth $40??? Is the quality different other then the blade steal?

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: Difference in SOG knives between different dealers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:36:45 PM »
It depends upon how seriously you're going to use it.

AUS8 has, IIRC, something like 15% more carbon than AUS6. The extra carbon makes it a better (IMNSHO) steel.  AUS6 will chip a lot easier. It will also sharpen more easily than AUS8, but won't hold the edge as well.

A lot will also depend upon the heat-treating process.

Ultimately, the question is : What do you expect to do with your knife? The vast, vast majority of people worry about knife steels as if they're going to be attacked by hordes of 55-gallon drums or car doors/hoods.

If you're going to be abusing your knife, go with the better steel (for that matter, go with a better steel than AUS8).  Keep in mind that the mountain man of lore survived without anything near the quality of AUS6 or 8.  Knowledge and knowing the limits of your equipment will go a lot farther than a tough steel.

The Professor