Author Topic: In search of the greatest EDC folder!  (Read 22962 times)

Offline shaunw8lftr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
In search of the greatest EDC folder!
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »
Discuss   :)

I know there are other topics that are like this on here but I thought I would refresh and look for new feedback.... whats new and good what old and true..

Thanks

Shaun

Offline Oldhomestead

• Senior Survivalist
Re: In search of the greatest EDC folder!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »
I think that question comes down to almost pure personal opinion and really depends on what you CAN carry where you are.

For instance, at my job (office environment for a large insurance company) even pocket knives are prohibited. However I do carry a small three-bladed Old Timer pocket knife simply because I feel naked without it after having one in my pocket for 30 years.

Down in the truck, my GHB has a One Hand Trekker from Victorinox (http://www.victorinox.com/us/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Hunting/One-Hand-Trekker-Black-Blade/54884) and I carry that anytime I’m not at work. It has worked for me without fail for years.

Offline flyfisher66048

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:13:37 AM »
Cold steel voyager or a spyderco with a plain blade.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
I bet you're the guy that always starts the 9mm vs 45ACP debate. :)

I carry a SAK Pioneer Alox, but I'm in an office environment on a military base.  Someday, I'll upgrade to a SAK Farmer Alox to get the saw blade.

For a working blade, the Kershaw "Needs Work" is pretty nice.  A little thick in the handle for dress slacks, but a good grip and hard working blade.

If I had the $$$, there would be a Zero Tolerance folder in my pockets.  Those are some nice looking blades and everyone I know that has one raves about it.

Offline shaunw8lftr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:18:51 PM »
I bet you're the guy that always starts the 9mm vs 45ACP debate. :)

I carry a SAK Pioneer Alox, but I'm in an office environment on a military base.  Someday, I'll upgrade to a SAK Farmer Alox to get the saw blade.

For a working blade, the Kershaw "Needs Work" is pretty nice.  A little thick in the handle for dress slacks, but a good grip and hard working blade.

If I had the $$$, there would be a Zero Tolerance folder in my pockets.  Those are some nice looking blades and everyone I know that has one raves about it.

LOL!  No... I know where I stand on that one... but I am on the quest for the perfect knife...  I suppose cost is an issue... it would be hard to put past the wife a 140+ dollar pocket knife....  those Zero tolerance knives look sweet though.....

I like the idea of an assisted open.  Any of you guys have experience with the SOG trident?  Looks good price is right....?  I am digging on a cold steel too.... I may buy them both but please.... don't tell the wife!  Of course then I'd be doling out almost as much as a XZT.....  :)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »
I own 2 SOG Tridents. I recommend the tanto model. It's a medium tough beater. I don't feel bad using it. I wouldn't recommend the concept but I hear gluing down the safety might be a good idea...

There's a million great knives out there. I prefer (but protect) my Kershaws. My brother in law has some massive lockback he got in Germany that he uses as a beater/hunter knife. I'd keep it in a glass case.

Lots of good knives out there.

Offline DanielBoone

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »
I have a "custom" mini griptilian I ordered off Benchmades site.

It has a D2 steel sheepfoot blade with a thumbhole.  D2 tool steel is pretty rugged and I like a sheepfoot style blade on a EDC because the tip is not as prone to breaking when using it as a prybar.  The large thumbhole makes one handed opening easier.

I choose high vis florescent green G 10 handle scales.  I feel brown, forest green, camo or all black handles on a EDC workday knife don't make much sense..if you drop a knife in a pile of leaf litter or on the bottom of a stream you want it to stand out so you can find the damn thing not blend have it blend in.

Finally I think that the axis locking mechanism it had is one of the strongest most reliable folding mechanism available.

Anyhoo thats my personal choice for a EDC.

Offline Coctailer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Run with scissors!!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »
The title has "greatest" in it.

Strider is the "greatest" qualities I have experienced.

The "greatest" I have carried personally would be my Surefire Charlie.

Offline shaunw8lftr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
I picked up an SOG Trident.  I don't think it's the best... but it's very good... light... sharp out of the box and is spring assisted.  I don't like the way it is done though I think putting a little tab on the back is a better way to go but that is just me...  :)  I wanted the spring assist and this was the best quality knife I could find that had it but I suspect I missed some stuff.....

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »
The "greatest EDC" is going to be entirely different for a Doctor or Lawyer and the guy that drives a bulldozer or an EMT.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 12:16:28 AM »
My EDC is a Gerber EAB razor knife that I bought originally when Jack reviewed it a couple years back. I use it all the time. I like having a razor sharp blade that is easily changed when dull or gunked up. It is small too, so it is always in my pocket. I did a review of it on my blog
http://madebyalan.com/gerber-eab-folding-razor-knife-review/

Offline InquiringMind

• Survivor
    • Engineer Your World
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 10:59:19 AM »
I agree with all those who have said it depends on your needs. A knife is a tool, so an Every Day Carry should be whatever best serves your typical needs.

For me, having a lightweight, compact knife with a moderate length blade balances its utility with comfort and discreetness. I work in an office where pocket knives are allowed, but a 6" fixed blade probably wouldn't go over too well...

I've carried a Gerber Paraframe I for 6-7 years now. The carved out frame makes it unnoticeably light, and the half-serrated 3" blade is pretty much all I need. The ambidextrous thumb peg and blade lock design make one-handed opening and closing easy, and for $16, I'm not too concerned if it gets dinged up.

As a plus, it fits perfectly in the loop on the right hip of Carhartt B151 pants, which I wear probably 200 days a year.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »
     The best survival knife, of any description, is the one you are always carrying. It's the one you will use when the chips are down, just like an EDC flashlight or EDC firestarter. Any survival item that you can afford and always carry, is better than one you can't afford or leave at home. There will never be one "best" survival item because the situations you find yourself in will be different and will "best" be handled with different items. If you're lucky, and can tuck some basic multi-use items and simple tools in your pockets, wallet and on a key chain, you will be miles ahead of the unprepared. I try to be more general in my EDC and carry what might be useful in the most common scenarios. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 04:47:06 PM »
Don't laugh...but it is a GERBER-Bear Grylls SCOUT. It is half serrated blade,thin in the pocket,and feels good in the hand,easy to sharpen and EASY TO FIND with it's orange accents on the handle. PLUS I use my knife and at under $20 ,I won't cry if I break or lose one...I have several in different kits ,boxes and drawers.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 07:05:22 PM »
The "greatest EDC" is going to be entirely different for a Doctor or Lawyer and the guy that drives a bulldozer or an EMT.

Back when I was dressing like a doctor every day, I carried the small Buck Vantage because it carries low and discretely.  Now, despite being able to dress like the guy driving a bulldozer, I'm still carrying the Vantage, usually in the large size.

endurance

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 08:19:16 PM »
I usually carry a simple 3.1" H&K folder, but for the vfd I've been really happy with my Skeletool since I got it. Comfortable to use, lots of carry options with case, clip or carabiner and of course a great variety of tools to play with. Hard to go wrong with it.

nelson96

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 10:17:17 PM »
My two cents....  The only "great folder" is a small knife.  I say this because I feel a folder is an EDC knife and an EDC knife should be small & discreet (fit in a pocket).  More importantly, a folder is meant for small jobs, those don't require a knife of great caliber and integrity.

For that reason, I have three EDC knives that I switch back and fourth from depending on my activity.  Those are my;

Kershaw Ken Onion Chive (2" Blade)
Folding Utility Knife (Standard HD Utility Blades)
Havalon Piranta (#22 and #60A Blades)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 11:11:23 PM »
In non tactical situations if you are doing a job that a SAK can't handle you should probably get a fixed blade. The Farmer has a ticker blade, but the Fieldmaster has scissors and a Phillips.

If you want just a larger fixed blade buy a Rat model 1. Again, if you are doing a non tactical job that a Rat-1 can't handle go find your fixed blade.

There are obvious exceptions, but a Rat or SAK can handle most jobs pocket knives are designed for and you will save a ton. If you are using it to cut boxes all day buy a box cutter. If you want it to stay sharper longer and don't mind spending a lot of time sharpening it get a Becker BK24 with the D2 steel for $40 on Amazon. Use the price difference on another fixed blade or other toys you want.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »
   Don't underestimate the utility of a small, quality lockback folder. I once saw a young guy gut a deer with what must have been an 8" "Bowie" knife. His technique was to stab it in below the sternum bone, to the hilt, and then chop and slice his way, through the guts to the tail. Most pitiful thing I've seen deer hunting. I use a classic Buck lockback to gut and skin all my deer. In a pinch, you can do it with a jackknife. It's all a matter of the right tool for the job and the knowledge of how to use it.

nelson96

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »
I use a classic Buck lockback to gut and skin all my deer. In a pinch, you can do it with a jackknife. It's all a matter of the right tool for the job and the knowledge of how to use it.

I used the Havalon noted above, with the #22 blade, to field dress my elk this year.  That's not saying much though, it doesn't take much of a knife to field dress an animal of any size as long as the blade is sharp and you don't have to cut through a lot of bone (ie sternum). 

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 06:25:23 PM »
SOG Twitch

Fast to deploy, which is the most important thing if I need it for social use.

I carry a Twitch XL and Twitch II

The 2 is nice small size, but the clip is not reversible, so I carry the larger XL on my left and the twitch II on my right.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 10:38:31 AM »
On my belt is a
Victorinox Swiss Army knife which has the essential tools in it.
In my pocket this
http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=37&r=store%2Easp%3Fc%3D44
It's a good combination.
When I am out of town, in my emergency bag is
http://survival.instantestore.net/pd_buckhood_punk.cfm

Offline dpreppers

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 11:04:26 AM »
For my uses I carry a Kershaw Cryo II.  For the office where dress clothes are required it is small enough to slip in a pocket, but also has a nice sturdy clip for when it can be carried clipped to a pocket or belt.  I really like the weight of it and the all metal frame.

Offline msparks

• Survivor
    • Michael Sparks, Journey to success
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 09:19:39 AM »
Just so hard to have One for EDC. Everyday is a different day. The one I carry to the farm is going to be different than the one I carry in my business suit. Matter of fact I've just bought the smallest knife I've ever owned, a Case Peanut.

My Current EDC choices consist of  Case Peanut, Carhartt Peanut, Queen Stockman, Boker Trapper, Buck Lite Max Large (great cheaper knife) Benchmade 710, a Camilus CUDA in D2.

Of these the peanut, stockman and trapper get the most use. The Benchmade is way to large and heavy for most of my needs (I do carry it when on National Guard Duty).

Normally I carry a small folder and a medium fixed blade on my belt, which is currently a Bark River Gunny.

Offline headush

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 02:21:28 PM »
I have two EDC's. One is a Cold Steel folder that I have had for 25 years. My other is a Benchmade spring assisted folder. Both are great tools. The CS is what I use for heavier work and the Benchmade for everything else.
I really like the way the Benchmade opens. It opens with a vengeance!
I enjoy them both!

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 06:37:09 PM »
I do carry a zero tolerance most days.  It is an AWESOME half pound of steel and titanium, but it is a half pound and takes a large portion of a pocket.  If you want one at an affordable price, go to kershawguy.com and wait for a blem.  You don't get a warranty, but there blemishes do not affect the use.  Out of three we bought, one had a speck in the tiger stripe-not a hole in the coating, just silver dot inside the black; one had a slight misgrind on the blade-touched up in normal sharpening, and we never found the blemish in the third. 

I also have a benchmade Doug Ritter.  MUCH lighter, good design, but just not as strong and almost as bulky.

I need to get a Kershaw leek or similar as a dress up edc. I bought one for my wife thinking she wouldn't like it and give it back to me, but she loves it. 

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 09:11:04 AM »
Hi All
At work I carry a SAK Farmer. Not even supposed to have that but I need it to open boxes and cut line and such.

Off duty lately I have been carrying a Cold Steel XL Voyager or an XL Cold Steel Espada G10...sometimes both.

Kid

Offline Giff Sheriff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 03:07:51 PM »
CRKT clams that their double locking liner locks are as strong as a fixed blade, but I honestly doubt it? If in fact it's true, they would be my folder of choice. Anybody, have a stress test review?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »
The lock on the COLD STEEL POCKET BUSHMAN is incredible
but the knife is all metal and a bit thin to keep a good grip .
The lock though....is rock solid.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Pocket-Bushman-Stainless/dp/B001DZT4WQ

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 12:59:42 AM »
Opinel no. 7 ;)
I like assisted opening, no particular reason.
If I'm using a knife for self defense, I want a fixed blade. I don't like knives for that tho, and I plan to not have to resort to it.
My current EDC is a Zero Tolerance 0350, cuz I have it (gift from a friend). the s30v steel is nice, but I don't dare to sharpen it myself. Can barely get my softer steeled knives sharp.