Author Topic: Cold Steel Samburu - Broken  (Read 4311 times)

Offline vivificus

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Cold Steel Samburu - Broken
« on: July 23, 2014, 10:42:03 AM »
I was wondering if anyone else had experience with the Cold Steel Samburu. (http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/95SB/SAMBURU_SPEAR.aspx)

I and my family had fun for about 5 minutes with it before it broke. I threw it into a hay bale, and the wooden handle snapped near one of the ends. We thought it was a week point from the beginning, but i didn't think it would break after 10 throws. Im thinking of trying to replace it with something stronger, or at least another piece of wood that is fixed better than a single screw.

Joel

Re: Cold Steel Samburu - Broken
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »
Sometimes I think Cold Steel is a bit schizophrenic. They have sold some very good edged tools - my alltime favorite knife is a CS. But their novelty stuff can be such embarrassing junk...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:50:55 PM »
I was going to say that you should not have been throwing it...then I was not aware that it was a spear....I have hammered my own out of soft steel and they sharpen easy,bend often.But are easy to replace. Brass also not bad for fun and games.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »
vivificus,

You might try replacing the shaft with one of oak or osage orange. It's interesting to note that the website warns about breaking the shaft - hopefully, they are easy to replace.

As an aside, the spear seems to be modeled after the Roman Pilum, with the exception of a leaf head instead of a barbed head. The thin shaft was designed to bend after hitting the target [shield or person] seriously inconveniencing the target and rending the spear unusable. The head was probably changed to allow it to be withdrawn easily - important when hunting or using it for protection against predators. The Samburu people are part of the Nilotes  group which include the Turkana and the Masai. This group migrated down the Nile Valley from Northern Africa to Central Africa about 2,000 years ago, so contact with Roman technology would not be improbable.

Have fun with your new toy, but remember that an accidental wound from it is worse than getting shot.

soupbone

Offline vivificus

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:12:11 PM »
Thanks for the background info soupbone.

I think I'll try a new handle, or maybe try to weld in a steel spacer once I get a welder.

I also want to check on the legality of hunting with it here in texas.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 02:24:40 AM »
New shaft should be easy to make; also CS could provide a spare one. Or you may want to make it out of some of their Grivory products, to create a highly durable shaft.

Agreed with Joel that CS tends to make junk lately. I became CS customer like 7 years ago and managed to get some of the old school products yet, while they were being discontinued and sold out. Also got several new ones. The difference is obvious. 90% products are Taiwan made, with more primitive technologies and lesser materials than what they used before. Even their old series of machetes made in China were decent, unlike the new ones. I sold most of the new stuff and don't regret it.
I buy vintage CS stuff on ebay, don't mind higher prices caused by collectors. Still worth much more than buying the new stuff. Just got a vintage like-new Twistmaster and a lightly used Hudson Bay knife. Both Carbon V steel. It's harder to sharpen, but holds edge nicely. Also old VG-1 steel they used on Voyager folders was fine. The new Voyager line is all AUS8, which can be good knife steel, but I think CS has some serious flaws in the hardening/tempering line of their factory. I saw their AUS8 blades dulled by being drawn from the plastic sheath couple times, but also saw edges chip and break because of being too hard and thus brittle. That being said, I have two older CS knives of AUS8 steel that are very good. Already Taiwan made, but likely before they stopped doing quality control, I don't know.

Offline vivificus

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 06:54:32 AM »
Thank you guys for all he ideas.
I had thought about buying a replacement from CS, but I'm not too excited to give them more business to fix a product that has major design flaws in my opinion. I think I'll try to pick up some wood and try again on my own. Someday once I get a welding machine I can do a much better fix on it.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 06:26:38 PM »
I don't know if it is a design flaw, or the spear is designed to work that way. If so, it is a major inconvenience for the hobbyist, but not so much so to the original, serious user. Substituting metal for wood might throw off the balance and/or make the spear harder to control.

I'm not sure I'd hunt with it, though, even if it is legal. Spears are not that accurate and several are often needed to bring down a game animal. Not something I'd want to try on a critter who could remind me I'm not at the top of the food chain. Even using it in the hand-held mode, with the leaf-shaped head, an enraged critter could climb the shaft to get to you - that's why old boar spears have a crosspiece - to prevent that.

As a toy or collector's piece, a spear is fine, but I'd be really hesitant about using it for real, except in a last-ditch situation. Across narrow ditches.

soupbone

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 05:46:02 AM »
Bamboo may be a much better choice for strength and durability.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 10:37:46 AM »
Baboo would be fine, though I'm afraid it won't be easy to make it fit the conical sockets very well.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 10:57:10 AM »
Shape bamboo with grinder , final fit with silicon sealer (bathroom calk) and a thru pin id needed. Bamboo will take the punishment of throwing better than metal.