Author Topic: what is your favorite knife  (Read 90084 times)

Offline creativem2

• Prepper
    • The Movie Review Podcast
Re: what is your favorite knife
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »
I carry the Cold Steel American Lawman.  Before that I carried a crappy little Winchester knife and old timers for years.  The American Lawman is a bit bulky but very solid and razor sharp out of the box.  The grip on this thing is amazing. This was my first purchase of a knife that was over 25 bucks and you can really tell the difference.  I would probably go with the mini if I were to do it over again because it is a bit bulky for clipping to the pocket.

http://www.coldsteel.com/americanlawman.html

Offline A Pirate

• Prepper
  • Loose lips sink ships
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »
EDC- CS Ti-lite quick scary and sharp
Fixed- CS recon tanto carried it all sorts of ways in Iraq and now strap it low on my leg on hunts or when I just feel like it, sharp big strong and scary.

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »
I'm leaning more towards small, older, - 4"- carbon steel fixed blades these days.  Found a great 'Kinfolks' skinner the other day.  Hearing good things about Moras.  Got my nephew a 4" Canadian belt knife for graduation.

Offline Xavier

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 08:30:25 PM »
I am a budding knife enthusiast.

Right now, my EDC is a Ka-Bar Dozier in coyote brown.

Offline Outdoorfury

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 09:37:07 AM »
EDC folding: Benchmade
Fixed: Bear Grylls survival knife. It is awesome with it's own sharpener, fire striker, and a great sheath.

endurance

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »
I have a little H&K (made by Benchmade) folder.  I love the grip, the size (about 2.9" blade), the feel in my hand.  I thought I lost it once and bought a new one.  A week later I found it and now I'm just happy to have a spare.  It's with me all the time.

When trail running and going light I like a CRKT Doug Ritter Rsk Mk5.  Durable, takes a good edge, nothing to go wrong.  Cheap as chips, too.

Otherwise a Mora 780 does most of my field work.  Who knew a $15 knife could be so utilitarian?  I have much more expensive knives, but I'm unwilling to subject them to the abuse I put my Mora through, therefore, they sit in my pack, always at the ready, but seldom used.

Along the same lines, I know a lot of guys want a knife with some real heft to it so they can do some chopping.  For about $25 you can pick up a cheap little hatchet that will do a better job of chopping and leave your knife for the finer work around camp.  I have a Gerber for just the purpose and it's the perfect tool to top off the kit.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 03:49:20 PM »
I am mostly picky about my butchering knives. My current favorite for the last 4 years is an Opinel. It looks frail and it is not.

I have butchered 3-4 deer, 2 llamas and 8 hogs with one knife and it has never required sharpening yet. My only complaint is I lent it to someone, they bent the very tip and I have misplaced my spare one.

Cedar

Offline Westbound

• Prepper
    • Prepper Book Review
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 08:33:10 PM »
My favorite fixed blade is my Silver Stag, but its really pretty and it cost a lot of money.  It doesn't go out much, though I know I can rely on if I ever need to use it.  My EDC fixed blade is a stag handled 4" Marbles knife in a heavy leather sheath.  It has a thick spine and holds a good edge.  Best 20 bucks I've ever spent.
My favorite folders have always been Kershaw.  The Onion and Leek series are by far my favorite for EDC.

I have several fixed and folders, ranging from hunting to tacti-cool, but the two mentioned above go with me everywhere.

Offline TheXGrasshopper

• Prepper
    • NoMoreGrasshoppers.com
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »
My favorite: Victorinox Tinker (aka Boy Scout Pocket Knife).

http://www.victorinox.com/content/product_details?code=1.4603

My parents gave this to me for Christmas somewhere in the late 80's, and I had this in Boy Scouts. It has been with me most of my life. I have used every tool on it at some point. The fact that it has been lost and found makes it a bit of a talisman for me.

Like any tool there are certain things it is NOT best for and I understand its limitations, but I would but I use this more frequently than most use their "real" knives.  ;)

I love this little knife.  It was my first knife, and I cut myself the first day I used it lol.  Being a child of the 80's, it was my "MacGyver" knife and served me well in my adventures. 

Good stuff and cool story to go along with yours. :)

Offline d0j0w0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2011, 08:42:19 PM »
I have an old Swiss champ I found in a parking lot with the scales (plastic covering) removed.  This makes it a little slimmer and better for carrying.  Just hope I don't get a sliver or any gunk in my teeth. :)

Offline Cajuin

• Prepper
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 08:27:36 PM »
EDC = Spyderco Delica 4
EDC2 = Benchmade 710 McHenry / or Spyderco Paramilitary2

Fixed Blade = Condor Golok, dont really have any small fixed blades....

Offline Herew

• Survivor
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »
EDC: Gerber EAB, Leatherman Micra
Out in the woods: Gerber Gator on my pack, Cheaper Than Dirt Rough Uses Knife on my belt

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Folding:  SAK huntsman or climber

Multi tool:  Gerber MP400

fixed:  mora classic #2 or custom knife made by Mike Thourot

BIG Fixed:  Western W49 bowie or parang from malaysia

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 04:25:38 AM »
Good reading guys, lots of stuff to think about on this thread.

For work/play I have an old WWII German engineers knife. The thing is the toughest folder I've ever owned. I can baton with it, it's carbon steel, it's got a saw and a file. Victorinox on roids.

For the bush I can't get past my Mora Clipper. No knife that I've owned has been able to out preform it. And at $8 a pop why not own 10 or so. Also Carbon steel.

I did just make a Parang machete'. Not a big knife guy but The forward sweep of the blade makes this thing work like an axe, and the 10" cutting edge makes it a pretty big axe. Weight's ok, and the S curve to the spine makes light work surprisingly easy for a big knife.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »
I love my parang for chopping and batoning.  I believe the blade is 1/4 thick at the spine and almost as heavy as a hatchet making it a wicked chopper.  I have batoned some big logs since the blade is 13 inches.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2011, 12:58:09 AM »
Favorites that I use
Pocket knife: Lone Wolf T2 with cocobolo scales
Small fixed blade: Gerber Freeman
Large fixed blade: Buck Hoodlum
Hatchet: Fiskars 14”

Favorites that don't get used
Pocket knife: Paul Defender with cocobolo scales
Fixed blade knife: SOG Desert Dagger

On the wish list
Chopper: Bark River Knife and Tool Golok
Auto: Pro-Tech Godfather 907c

Offline DBI

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 10:13:22 PM »
Folder: Leatherman Skeletool

Fixed Blade: Rat 5

Offline footpad

• Survivor
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »
my current edc is a benchmade rift. got an awsome deal for it, like 70% off. so far its rock solid. a little heavy but inside my wasteband and i hardly notice it. ive got the non auto version

http://www.benchmade.com/products/9555

Offline Whiskey

• Prepper
  • So tactical it hurts.
    • Whiskey's Whiteboard (youtube)
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2011, 11:51:56 AM »
My EDC fixed blade is a ESEE Izula. Great little knife, I wear it around my neck. Ill use it in the field for most small tasks, especially processing game.

My big knives are the M-9 bayonet, Gerber LMF, and ESEE-5. The ESEE is my go to, as it is pretty much indestructible.  I would have liked the LMF a lot better if it had not been serrated. The Phrobius M9 bayonet is actually far more sturdy than I thought it would be, but it was not meant to be a working knife. It was meant to stick into bad guys, or open MRE's.

Overall, my favorites are in this order-

ESEE 5
ESEE Izula
Cold Steel AK47
Gerber LMF
M9 bayo
ESEE AH1

Joel

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2011, 03:55:51 PM »
I've grown fond of my Gerber Freeman Hunter.  It's ugly enough that I don't mind scarring it up, holds a good edge, and I haven't even bothered to replace the dorky sheath it comes with, since it turns out to be better than it looks.

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2011, 10:13:45 PM »
Really haven't owned that many knives compared to a lot of people on this forum however I've owned several swiss army knives and a couple cheap folders but my main knives now are a 7" Ka Bar and a Spyderco Tenacious which I bought a week ago.  The Tenacious is my EDC now and I've had several chances to use it in it's EDC function as well as in the field this weekend while putting up my feeder and doing some other activities at the BOL and it was awesome, I'm so glad I bought it.  I can't believe it only cost $28!!! 

https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?productNumber=1271&mode=search&categoryId=1,2,3,7&categoryName=Product%20Search%20Results

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=294

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2011, 09:50:51 AM »
I am mostly picky about my butchering knives. My current favorite for the last 4 years is an Opinel. It looks frail and it is not.

I have butchered 3-4 deer, 2 llamas and 8 hogs with one knife and it has never required sharpening yet. My only complaint is I lent it to someone, they bent the very tip and I have misplaced my spare one.

Cedar

Which model is that?

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 05:59:36 PM »
Looks like the Slim Bubinga ones.  I've been eyeballing them for a while now.

http://www.opiknife.com/products.asp?cat=Slim+Bubinga
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:13:32 PM by PistolWhipped »

Offline sportsol

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 08:14:48 PM »
Emerson CQC6
ESEE4
Gerber artifact

Offline MacReady

• Survivor
  • Dolly Sods, WV Oct '09
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
Current EDC and the most expensive and highest quality knife that I've owned: Spyderco Manix 2.  Very sturdy, locks up almost like a fixed blade.  Great steel, 154CM.  Its almost rust proof.  It has a few discolored spots but they're from touching the ocean which very few steels ever should.  The handle is also very well designed.  I can choke up or down a notch choosing either more leverage or control.  Its a little heavy but Ive never found it to be cumbersome.

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »
Looks like the Slim Bubinga ones.  I've been eyeballing them for a while now.

http://www.opiknife.com/products.asp?cat=Slim+Bubinga

I'm digging these knives quite a bit and I have to say with the reasonable price tag they may wind up in the impulse buy category.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2011, 10:11:07 PM »
A friend of mine from culinary school has some Opinel Paring and Vegetable knives in his garnishing kit.  I've used them.  The things take an edge you could shave with, and are wicked precise for detail work.  I'd expect the same from the folders.

Offline TeamStone

• Prepper
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2011, 03:33:19 PM »
I have an Opinel folder that I've had for about 30 years.

It was briefly my EDC knife back when it was new (although no one used the term "EDC" back then). It held a good edge, has a comfortable handle, and has a very solid locking mechanism.

Then I had it with me on a canoe trip. It got soaking wet and the wooden body swelled up enough to make the blade stuck in the folded position. I could not get the blade out until the next day after letting it dry.

After that, it just lives in a drawer in the house and occasionally comes out for opening a package or something.  :)

Offline Rhino

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2011, 03:58:51 AM »
my Fav folder pocket would have to be a Boker Jim Wagner Reality automatic.
Fav fix, Becker Companion
Neck , Besh Wedge Necker

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2011, 08:24:11 AM »
Which model is that?

Sorry, I did not see your question until now, but I believe it is a Opinel Slim No 15 Bubinga wood Folding knife

Cedar