Finance and Economics > The Money Board

YouTube reportedly wiping out cryptocurrency videos, channels, and comments

<< < (2/3) > >>

iam4liberty:

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on December 26, 2019, 09:02:40 AM ---Didn't Google/Alphabet float the idea recently of their own cryptocurrency?  if so, could this be a precursor - wipe the competition?

--- End quote ---

No, it was facebook. But Google has google pay, a non-crypto pay service.  But crypto is no threat.  It is such a tiny thing.

FreeLancer:
I haven't noticed anything on the handful of channels I follow in the space.  There's some speculation that the take-downs are due to SEC compliance issues regarding the disclosure of financial conflicts of interest by content creators shilling shitcoins, of which there are many, but it's not really clear.

One thing's for certain, centralization facilitates censorship, whether it's money or speech, because there's always that choke point where pressure can be applied. 

There's a certain irony in making a living extolling the virtues of information decentralization only to get sandbagged by the centralized publishing platform they've grown to depend on.

surfivor:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on December 26, 2019, 03:33:57 PM ---I haven't noticed anything on the handful of channels I follow in the space.  There's some speculation that the take-downs are due to SEC compliance issues regarding the disclosure of financial conflicts of interest by content creators shilling shitcoins, of which there are many, but it's not really clear.

One thing's for certain, centralization facilitates censorship, whether it's money or speech, because there's always that choke point where pressure can be applied. 

There's a certain irony in making a living extolling the virtues of information decentralization only to get sandbagged by the centralized publishing platform they've grown to depend on.

--- End quote ---

It's never been clear that crypto currency was a great thing to begin with.  It  could all be controlled and criminalized at any time they decided ..

David in MN:
Google is a subsidiary of the government. All big tech is. Their biggest customers are the governments of the world. China is cracking down on Bitcoin and Google's biggest customer is... I do believe this year it flipped from the USA to China. Why would they behave to subvert their customers? You don't pay Yutube and content producers don't pay Youtube. You're not their customer.

Got a policy problem? Take it up with Beijing.

iam4liberty:
https://reclaimthenet.org/youtube-cryptocurrency-censorship/
YouTube deals a massive blow to cryptocurrency community, calls it “harmful or dangerous”, mass deletes videos
YouTube made no announcement that this was coming and quietly dealt the blow as people were wound down for Christmas.

Another community of creators on YouTube is starting to get a taste of the giant video platform's targeted crackdowns and censorship, and the latest one has a name: “The Crypto YouTube Carnage.”

That's how one of those receiving a “harmful content” strike against a video from 2018, who goes by the name Ivan on Tech, dubbed it in a tweet announcing that he had been banned from uploading content on YouTube for a week.
This YouTuber said that at least nine of the top crypto channels received strikes on Monday, and speaks about a growing sense of uncertainty among the platform's top talent about their future on YouTube where “each day could be the last” – and the need to be prepared to move to alternatives, which, he argues, need to provide visibility of content along with decentralized hosting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version