Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

What are your four? and advice on my choices...

<< < (16/16)

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: CPT Morgan on December 18, 2016, 09:43:07 PM ---I think this [if I can only have four] is a harder question than if I can only have one.

--- End quote ---

If I understand this 4 game correctly, it is 4 of a certain pattern : ie., generally one shotgun; one handguns; 2 rifles, to cover all needs, so one lower powered and one longer range/more power usually ( often a .22 and something higher powered and longer ranged )

So, since you realy need to only pick one of each category, maybe that will help ! (my current pick of a 223 over a 22 may or may not be the most practical for this game, but that is my close range/non kick pick for right now)

d3nni5:

--- Quote from: nkawtg on December 18, 2016, 08:25:16 PM ---
Not sure at all what handgun(s) to get.

--- End quote ---

Glock 19 is a good place to start.

LodeRunner:

--- Quote from: Jerry D Young on February 12, 2013, 10:51:23 AM ---...
Want:
4. Hunting/sniper rifle: Remington 700 .30-'06 (w/.32 ACP chamber adapters for small game)
5. Anti-materiel rifle: Want: Vigilance VR-1 .408 Cheytac (more likely a Remington 700 .375 H&H Magnum)

(7) Want: Handout gun(s): 6 or so Auto Ordnance .30 M1 Carbines

--- End quote ---

Good choice with the PTR-91.  I love mine.

You don't want a REM700 in 375H&H, trust me on that.  I bought one brand new, put a nice scope on it, and then spent 3 seasons trying to convince myself I hadn't made a mistake.  Recoil was obnoxious, twice that of my 26" bbl 300WINMAG; accuracy was ok but not great; ammo was through-the-roof expensive, reloading dies are hard to come by and also expensive, brass and bullets are expensive, and it eats powder like a feral hog when reloading.  And for all that, it's still not heavy enough to be a good anti-materiel rifle.

If you insist on getting something in that class, get a SOCOM .458 (or Bushmaster .450) - the AR style buffer system makes the recoil much more manageable, and the accuracy of the .45 rounds is much better.  It's still ridiculously expensive to shoot, but at least it won't dislocate your shoulder in the process.

For a 'sniper rifle' you're better served to go with a Remington 700 or (Savage 110) in .308WIN.  The Rem700 Short Action is the most common rifle in North America for MIL/LE sniping.  And the .308 and .223 are the two most common calibers.  So that's the convergence where you're going to find good, reasonably priced kit to complete your sniping setup - scope with integrated BDC, bridge-rail with built in 10 or 20 MOA so your scope can dial out to max range...etc. etc.,  and long range ammo will be much easier to come by.

I would never use a 'chamber adapter' in a long range rifle.  That's just inviting trouble.  Why not pick up a Marlin Camp Carbine in .22mag as your game-gun, or get a Sub2000 in 9mm (and work up a nice light load behind an 85~95gr. bullet for small game).  Either way, you not only get a reliable (and not under-powered) game-gun, you get an all-around backup rifle that way.

For 'loan-out' rifles, I chose SKSes.  Ammo is a standard caliber, the rifles are durable and easy to maintain, and strip-clips are a lot cheaper amd ,more reliable than mags.

Cheers

Plainsman:
My four to cover everything:
1. Ruger GP 100 in .357 Magnum
2. Ruger GSR in .308
3. Ruger 10/22 TD .22LR
4. Remington 870 in 12 gauge

These would do everything I need a firearm to do. But what fun is that!?!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version