Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

First Rifle

(1/3) > >>

Dagny:
I am getting my first rifle. I've only shot once before and this is totally out of my comfort zone. I'm going to an Appleseed event next month and based on the feedback from folks here I opted to purchase myself a left-handed rifle because my local Appleseed instructor does not have left-handed loaners, and due to being out of my comfort zone I do not want to shoot on the opposite side.

I am leaning towards getting this bold action rifle to start: Savage Mark II GL

Any reason I should not get this? Keep in mind I am a rifle newbie and I am going to be shooting targets. I'm not looking to go hunting anytime soon, if ever. I am just looking to learn to shoot and get comfortable with a firearm.

Thanks.

PistolWhipped:
Dude, I'm not going to talk you outta that.  That is one of my top recommended .22s, for anybody, for most any reason you'd need a .22.  Just FYI, they often have them in Walmart for about $130 new.

Softtaco:
No doubt that is a fine starter rifle that will do the trick for getting you going into the world of firearms ownership

I would mention that from what I have heard of the Appleseed events (haven't been to one ... yet) you will do alot of shooting. You said that you were out of your comfort zone here, so operating a bolt might be an added complication for you.

If you have sometime to get to a range, or even do a bunch of dry fire at home (always with an unloaded rifle and ammo out of reach) you could probably get comfortable with the action. But still be prepared for the appleseed event to wear you out.

Before you buy anything:
Go to a good gun shop, you can try it at wal-mart but you may catch some flak, and with their permission operate the action and dry fire a few dozen times.
Or even better find a range that will rent out a bolt gun to you.
Or best of all find a friend or fellow TSP'r to go out with before you buy

If you do find it to be a hassle to operate the bolt I would urge you to look at semi-autos. Many a great shooter has gotten their start on the 10/22. While you will loose a bit of accuracy and you will have to tell yourself to slow down and make the shot in the beginning, ultimately the right gun for you is the one you will shoot often.

joeinwv:

--- Quote from: PistolWhipped on July 20, 2010, 12:04:41 AM ---Dude, I'm not going to talk you outta that.  That is one of my top recommended .22s, for anybody, for most any reason you'd need a .22.  Just FYI, they often have them in Walmart for about $130 new.

--- End quote ---

+1 - Savage makes a very nice rifle - inexpensive and will last virtually forever. I would shoot it with iron sights for a while - say the first year or 2,500 rounds - then put a nice 4*32 scope on it.

ZenGunFighter:
That's a fine choice.

However, DO NOT DRY FIRE IT!

'dry fire' is pulling the trigger while the gun is empty. It is normally good practice. i recommend it. But NOT on a rimfire firearm. the firing pin will hit the edge of the chamber. This can mess up both the firing pin and the edge of the chamber.
Do it once in a great while is OK. but don't make a practice of it.

I DO recommend getting a couple more magazines. As said above, you will shoot alot at Appleseed. having several magazines loaded will make things go better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version