Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

In the market for first shotgun purchase

(1/1)

young Jack:
Hey all,
  I'm looking to purchase my first shotgun.  I'll mainly use it for home protection and recreation. I'm looking for a pump action, 12ga, short barrel, high capacity, tactical weapon.  I like what Mossberg has to offer, and I've heard good things about them.  I'm not looking for something with a lot of frills, but I like the look of an adjustable butt stock, though I'm just not sure how well it preforms.  I was wondering what all of your opinions are, what you like, or what I should be looking for. What's a good balance between barrel length and cartrige capacity? Are sights important?
  Here's some pic's from Mossberg's website:
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/51670.jpg -- 590A1, 9shot, 20"
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50663.jpg -- 590 Special Purpuse, 9 shot, 20"
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/51523.jpg -- 500 SPX, 6shot, 18.5"

Thanks,
- Jack

423aaron:
Any of these are good choices.  The shorter bbl will be a little more manageable indoors.  Since you mentioned only needing it for indoor work.  I would recommend a light and a tritium dot front bead.

Aaron

19114life:
Well I dont know what kinda price your shooting for but you can get the mossberg 500 at walley world for 225.00.  The gun comes with the field 26 inch barrel and 3 choke tubes, and you can get a 18 inch barrel through midway for like 80.00.  Then you have a multi use shotgun for a little over 300.00.  Thats what I did.  There is a big barrel choice for the standard 500 model including rifled slug. You wont be able to extend the tube but I figure if I need more then the 5 shots for a home invasion then there is something wrong with my shooting.  Good luck with you new shotgun. ;)

Chris Redfield:

--- Quote from: 19114life on March 01, 2010, 07:51:57 PM ---Well I dont know what kinda price your shooting for but you can get the mossberg 500 at walley world for 225.00.  The gun comes with the field 26 inch barrel and 3 choke tubes, and you can get a 18 inch barrel through midway for like 80.00.  Then you have a multi use shotgun for a little over 300.00.  Thats what I did.  There is a big barrel choice for the standard 500 model including rifled slug. You wont be able to extend the tube but I figure if I need more then the 5 shots for a home invasion then there is something wrong with my shooting.  Good luck with you new shotgun. ;)

--- End quote ---

Even more so sometimes places will sell 500s with two barrels as a combination, a 26" field barrel with the Accu-Set chokes and a 18" fixed cylinder as a Jack of All Trades. Couple that with a side-saddle holder and you can put 6 more there.

Far as magazine size concerns I'll be honest with myself here, I don't think that having an extra 3 in the gun will help me as much. I remember hearing someone mention that most firearm engagements are over in six shots or less, and if I'm in a situation where I need to shoot more than six times before topping up from the side-saddle it's probably a situation that's calling for more than a shotgun! :o

Cacinok:
for my first shotty, i went w/ used mossberg (lakefield mossberg, actually) it came w/ a 28" bl, but i plan to pick up and 18" bl, i've found them for less than $100.  i paid $150 for the gun.

870 is also a good choice.  i shot both and liked the ergonomics of the mossberg better. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version