Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Edged Weapons and Tools

Help me designing new tools for EDC/Survival

<< < (2/20) > >>

Knecht:
Well, if I just forge the blade and weld it onto a piece of pipe as hollow handle....surely could be made much cheaper.
But the ancient tool I'm about to make can be utilized as axe easily, without any need to take off the handle or anything. Forged of one piece, quite bulletproof.
But thanks for the idea, keep them coming!

Carl:

--- Quote from: Knecht on September 02, 2014, 04:12:49 PM ---Well, if I just forge the blade and weld it onto a piece of pipe as hollow handle....surely could be made much cheaper.
But the ancient tool I'm about to make can be utilized as axe easily, without any need to take off the handle or anything. Forged of one piece, quite bulletproof.
But thanks for the idea, keep them coming!

--- End quote ---

But an axe is not a daily use tool and one that is light and easily to attach to a handle would be a plus for the man on foot,as a tool ,not especially a weapon. Many travelers in the past carried only the axe head as handles often weigh much more than the tool itself. An axe blade with hammer head (not a hatchet) would ,I think be of use.

Just an idea.

Knecht:
Everyday or occassional use of axe depends on where and how you live. I use axe most of the days. Would also depend on the targeted customer - I doubt many people would carry an axe/hatchet head as EDC, while for prepping and survival it's ok.
Axe head can surely be carried without shaft, though it takes some skill and time to carve one that would fit well (when speaking of a true axe with flattened or triangular shaft hole, where shaft has to be wedged). Ancient axes and tomahawks with rounded and conical shaft holes are much easier to make shafts for.

bcksknr:
     A while back, there was a hatchet/knife/hammer tool that I wish I had bought. It had a straight cutting edge about 3 inches long that ended in a curve on one end, so that it could be used as a knife for field dressing, etc. The poll was round with an aggressive inside thread to attach the hatchet head to a green branch for chopping. the back of the head had a hammer face for pounding. It was forged all in one piece. It was comparatively lightweight and had a compact belt sheath. They were extensively advertised in old issues of American Survival Guide and I think they sold for about $50. I'd give lots to find one at a gun show or have one made.

Chemsoldier:
Pioneer tools (military term for a set of implements for cutting, chopping and digging usually secured on a vehicle)?  High quality pioneer tools.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version