Finance and Economics > Economic News, the Global Economy and all Things Monetary

The Economic Fallout of Alienating Customers

<< < (3/14) > >>

antsyaunt:

--- Quote from: antsyaunt on January 22, 2019, 04:10:47 PM ---I think it is a great ad.

--- End quote ---

To clarify, I think the watch ad is a great one.  As I told my husband, some of my favorite people are men!   ;D

David in MN:
I can't believe more people haven't come after Gillette for their portrayal of women. To preach that men need to hold each other to a higher standard implies that women are powerless to stand up for themselves. Normal, healthy women don't need a "white knight". I can't imagine raising my daughter to believe that she can rely on "a man standing up for her". I can get behind the idea that women are disadvantaged to men physically in an altercation but the idea that a woman lacks the capacity to determine who talks to her and how she is treated is gross.

New razor is arriving today.

--- Quote from: iam4liberty on January 22, 2019, 09:29:01 PM ---Business rumor is that brand team was chasing an Emmy to advance their careers.  Recently another P&G team won an Emmy for their "brand purpose" campaign and they were corporately made.  This created a perverse incentive for others to pursue an edgy campaign.  Gillette's financials have been falling for years, losing 30 share points since P&G acquired them.  They had to slash prices to stop the spiral. Also category is way down as more are growing beards.  So those on brand were looking for exit strategy.  This seemed like a good try as few companies had tried co-opting me too movement. Plus they have been getting harassed by feminist activists for the "pink tax" and thought this could neutralize that.

They are getting hammered.  Google trends show a 300% increase in people searching for their competitors.  This dropped a huge amount of cash in their competitors pockets which they are plowing back jnto ads.  it you watched the ad on youtube you are probably getting hammered by ads for Schick, Dollar Shave Club, and Harry's.  It is a shark frenzy.

--- End quote ---

It has been a debate in my trading mastermind group. I'm dumbfounded that otherwise smart people take the tack that all press is good. I immediately am of the belief that this is the last lunge of the dinosaur in the tar pit. Clearly there is a problem in management. How could this have been consumer tested? Or are we just running things up the flagpole and seeing what happens? If that's the case for P&G... I'm glad they're out of my portfolio. That's a monstrous red flag. I've seen groupthink hurt businesses but directly insulting your core demographic is just nuts.

To add insult to injury they are deleting comments and changing the like/dislike. You don't get away with that in 2019.

I don't understand the thought process. Men tend to  be creatures of habit. I've used the same razor since I was 16. Over 20 years. And now I'm going to toss it. When I turned 16 they sent me the handle for free knowing I'd be a customer for life. Well the current brand team squandered that. And what if I buy every guy in the family a brand new competitor for Christmas? Every guy is like me with an ancient razor. If I show up and say "hey try this new one it works better" I might  just strip a few customers.

There are layers on layers of why this was stupid.

iam4liberty:
P&G used to have the best ad copytesting system in the world which drove their marketing success for decades.  This included use of high reputation firms like IPSOS and ARS Group which were experts in measuring behavioral brand preference shifts among category purchasers.  Brand preference is what drives share and sales.  But in in early 2010s on prompting of agencies many brand teams shifted into use of unvalidated "image" measures or neural response (eg brainwaves). So even when they test their ads it doesnt pick up sales impact. Nothing is as sensitive as brand preference.

Unfortunately the "consumer is boss" mantra has fallen heavily at P&G.  Until that is revised sales will continue to flaunder and retailers like Walmart will continue to give more shelf space to competitors creating a self-feeding process.

iam4liberty:
https://www.ntd.com/sales-surge-after-watch-company-counters-gillettes-toxic-masculinity-ad_279527.html/amp
Sales Surge After Watch Company Counters Gillette’s ‘Toxic Masculinity’ Ad

bigbear:
Honestly, I think it's much ado about nothing.  Sometimes a man needs the stick (Gillette's challenge) and sometimes a man needs a carrot (Egard's value).  I think there are many men who need to 'man up,' but I'm not sure a commercial is the place for it. 

But even better is this Egard video made before the Gillette fallout.  I see a man who values the influence his father had on his life.  And desires to have (and help other men have) that type of influence on their child's life by valuing his (and our) time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RrF5rlmghY

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version