Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord

<< < (2/36) > >>

inconel710:

--- Quote from: EagleSteel on February 13, 2014, 10:23:14 AM ---Would they change there minds if they could get all their current TV shows and Movies that are still in the theaters?
I've heard that with the XBMC app on the Apple TV 2 you can do such a thing. Of course it may be illegal, so I don't do it.  ;)

--- End quote ---

I won't do anything illegal either.  It's tough being honest sometimes.

It would also be another project where it would be all on me to get it done and keep it working.  That pushes it down the priority list.

bigbear:
Nice, I think we have elevated 'entertainment' way to high on our priorty list as a culture.  There's a place for it, sure.  But in general, I think it's wrongfully pushed out some many other worthy uses of our time and resources.

I'm not sure what you use the cable internet connection for, but if you can deal with a little slower connection DSL is can be had for $19.99 through Verizon.  Add in about $5.00 in taxes/etc and it comes to about $300 annually ($25/mo).  Another $800+ of less spending.

EagleSteel:

--- Quote from: bigbear on February 13, 2014, 11:10:17 AM ---Nice, I think we have elevated 'entertainment' way to high on our priorty list as a culture.  There's a place for it, sure.  But in general, I think it's wrongfully pushed out some many other worthy uses of our time and resources.

I'm not sure what you use the cable internet connection for, but if you can deal with a little slower connection DSL is can be had for $19.99 through Verizon.  Add in about $5.00 in taxes/etc and it comes to about $300 annually ($25/mo).  Another $800+ of less spending.

--- End quote ---

The cable internet allows me to stream TV shows and Movies on the Apple TV.

bigbear:
Is that not an option with DSL?

inconel710:

--- Quote from: bigbear on February 13, 2014, 11:15:51 AM ---Is that not an option with DSL?

--- End quote ---

Not really.  DSL tops out at 3Mb/s and that's too slow for video.  Good enough for everything else, just not video.  Cable modem is almost ten times that and fiber optic (if you can get it) is even faster.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version