Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord

<< < (36/36)

Stwood:
Fritz and Red. Thanks

archer:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on October 05, 2019, 04:48:10 PM ---So is CBS all access available without having a cable subscription?  And what do you mean by a roku attached server?

--- End quote ---
yes. i subscribe to cbs all access, then use that login info to setup a roku channel so i can watch cbs all access on the roku.
a roku is a small set top box with wifi and the ability to connect to amazon prime/hulu/netflix/cbs/etc. lot of channels.

i can setup a server on my pi that connects to a roku channel so i can access videos on my pi server. or you can setup a server on a windows system and access it thru the roku. plex.tv is one if i remember.

Bradbn4:
This info is some what dated and 2nd hand about Satellite performance.

Using / watching youtube videos would chew thru fast the amount of data that users were allowed to consume.  During peak periods the amount of lag was significant.  Once the limits for data usage kicked in, bandwidth speeds dropped to about dial-up speed.

Things have improved with the current generation of hardware and the soft / hard limits have changed for the better.   There are times during the late night and early mourning that lets the user access the network and consume non-prime data rates.

Big storms would often cause loss of signal for both TV and internet.

If you are willing to spend the money, additional bandwidth could be purchased. 

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: archer on October 06, 2019, 08:21:12 PM ---yes. i subscribe to cbs all access, then use that login info to setup a roku channel so i can watch cbs all access on the roku.
a roku is a small set top box with wifi and the ability to connect to amazon prime/hulu/netflix/cbs/etc. lot of channels.

i can setup a server on my pi that connects to a roku channel so i can access videos on my pi server. or you can setup a server on a windows system and access it thru the roku. plex.tv is one if i remember.

--- End quote ---
Cool, I'll look into CBS All Access.

I'm well aware of what a Roku is, hehe.  I've had a Roku on each TV in the house for about 6 years now.

Much of what we watch is on my Plex server.  300+ movies and a dozen TV series at any given time. 

iam4liberty:
Didnt see any mentions of newsOn.  This is a free channel on Roku that gives streaming access to local news programs around the country.  it is a great prepper resource as it allows one to bypass the national media filter and get the word on the ground.

It is also great if you are looking to move as you can scope out what is happening is prospective communities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version