Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio Gear Reviews

FT-8800 vs. FT-8900 vs. something else suitable for mobile HF

(1/6) > >>

AZCeltic formerly occeltic:
I am in the midst of a struggle, trying to decide what to do about some good fortune that came my way last weekend. I attended a repeater system breakfast and entered a raffle for an FT-8800....and won!! ;D
Now, I am in the process of obtaining my general, and want, if possible, to acquire a radio with HF features. The 8800 is a great dual band, and the reviews state that. The only recurring disappointment that I see is the lack of back-lighting on the keys. Perhaps that is common with Yeusu. Right now I have the opportunity to take the radio back to HRO and upgrade to a different one if I so desire, and the FT-8900 looks like it might fit the bill. I have to stay close to the purchase price of the 8800, so I can't go hog wild on a more expensive unit. But....I am open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Occeltic 

KJ6EZR

TANK:
I have a FT 8900 love it beyond discription. The down fall of the FT 8900 is the Quad Band radio. I use my 8900 as a moble, and a quad band antenna is very expensive when you hit a low overhead with it and it breaks, I know I did it. The question is are you going to use it as a moble or a base. The FT 8800 will be my next dual band radio I have two FT90's that I don't like. The FT8900 and FT8800 are both great radios. It depends what you are looking for.  Bye the way congrads on the win

Thanks Tank...the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that I will get allot more use out of a mulitband/quad band unit if I use it only as a base station. I believe most folks out there on HF are doing it from a base station and not a mobile unit. The 8800 has many great features and will make a excellent mobile radio. Perhaps down the road I will be able to pick up a great deal on an HF rig at a hamfest.

Thanks for your input!

Occeltic

buffalojustice:
Congratulations! That is an excellent radio, I have the 8900 and really love it. That said, and you have probably figured this out already, it is FM only. Yes you get six and ten but it is really for repeaters and the few simplex FM'rs out there. I hope that if you don't have six and ten meter repeaters in your area that you did not pay up for the extra "HF" function as it really isn't. For the little extra cost I bought the 8900 for more flexibilty, and I don't use it at all. What I do use is the cross band repeat, which is awesome. I like that I can walk around with an ht and still hit distant repeaters. Just another take on the two radios you've mentioned. BTW, both have excellent audio and work extremely  well. 73

Thanks for the comment buffalojustice. :) I am going to go ahead and keep the 8800 and perhaps find another radio for HF a little further down the Ham radio road. All I have to do now is find someone skilled in radio installation and a way to mount the antenna on the roof of my truck without making a hole. I do have a magmount, but I'd like to be able to run the cable without having it run out the window. I wonder if there's a roof rack small enough to attach to the top of an F-150.

Occeltic

KJ6EZR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version