Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

Tails: The Amnesic Incognito Live System Laptop recommendation needed

<< < (2/2)

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: TuNoMeteCabra on August 25, 2019, 06:30:33 PM --- Do you know if a ThinkPad T520 will work just as good?

--- End quote ---
Yep, the T-series is all VERY stable with Linux.

I'm going to replace my current T-420, the T-520 may be my replacement

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on August 25, 2019, 06:19:23 PM ---I wouldn't go with any of the models listed.  I'd look at a used Lenova T-series laptop.  These laptops are fantastic with Linux.

--- End quote ---

I guess it depends on what you use it for, but Tails is painfully slow and tedious on any machine.  The only hardware issues that matter are whether Tails actually boots (not all USB sticks will work) and recognizes the Wifi (or can connect via ethernet).  I never use Tails on a machine that's used for anything else, so old used machines or new cheap burners work just fine for me.

Ralph:
I use Tails but not to do things online.  Recently I ran across a program called YUMI (PendriveLinux.com) and installed the Tails ISO on it.  I have YUMI installed on a USB flash drive and boot my otherwise Windows laptop to YUMI, then select Tails for booting.  Nice thing about YUMI is you can install multiple ISO files to boot from and select one from a GRUB like menu.  As noted, not all USB flashdrives will boot, although I may have been lucky in that I've never run into an unbootable one.  The website has some suggestions on what works.

kid_couteau:
I use an old Toshiba with 6 gigs of RAM for a Kali box

Works well for small stuff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version