Site Suggestions, Support and Resources > Fiction and Non-Fiction Books/Magazines

299 Days: The Preparation (Book One) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]

<< < (2/19) > >>

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Prepper Press on August 30, 2012, 08:10:10 PM ---Smurf Hunter, a.k.a. Gargamel, if you enjoy the book(s), we'd really appreciate your honest review on Amazon and "liking" it on the site as well. This is the single biggest way you could help the series, to get people aware of the need to prep. Because remember, a prepared neighbor, is a good neighbor.

PP

--- End quote ---

I'm 55% through the first book and will do that when I finish it up.  Probably early next week.

re: "Gargamel" - that was actually a college nickname for me.  Often that is taken on forums, etc. so I came up with "smurf hunter" as an alternate.

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: cheryl1 on August 31, 2012, 05:35:39 AM ---Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but the relationship between Grant and Lisa really bothered me. I felt so bad for Grant that he couldn't talk to his wife about his new outlook. I found myself rooting for the collapse mainly so that she would wake the f up before they got a divorce, or Grant went crazy. I really wanted to grab her by the shoulders and shake her! The fact that this frustration came through to the reader is part of what makes this a good book.

I hope this series takes off. I think some grasshoppers will still be uneasy with the large amount of food storage, but the warm-up to weapons was handled nicely. Especially Grant's thoughts on how if a group of men kicked in his door there was NO chance he could stop them. ( Why can't Lisa see that? *growl*)

--- End quote ---

My wife's name is "Lisa" and she grew up in Kirkland, WA - which is the city on the northern boundary of Bellevue, WA (where Lisa in the book was from).  Being a resident of the same region there are numerous other boring details I could related to :)

As far as "my" Lisa, we're making slow progress.  My preps have come in handy during winter storms.  So she's on board for that other regional problems.  This last year she got her carry permit and took a women's only gun class.  She's not carrying routinely, (mindset) but knows she immediately could if civil unrest developed, etc.

The best news, I convinced her to read 299 Days.  Now it's 3rd in her personal reading queue, but it's in the queue.  That's big.

chad:
I'm at the point where the "matsons" have just been married...my first thought was... No boom boom.. There had to be boom boom..?  :-*

chad:

I won't read this thread until I read book one, just because I don't want a Spoiler.

But I'll ask questions as I read and then after reading book 1 I'll read the answers to my questions.

Question:

Grant and Lisa are being married... But no mention of grants mom? I understand the no dad.

chad:
After rethinking it.. About the "no mom at the wedding" is it because she was not a very good sheepdog or not a sheepdog at all?

I don't mean to offend.. Just trying to get the most out of the book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version