Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

Ideal rifle caliber for medium size game

<< < (4/11) > >>

donaldj:
I chose 7.62x39mm as my hunting round and my "battle rifle" round. I felt having common ammo types was important.

I have an old SKS I plan to use hunting, and have in the past, and am looking to get an AK47 or that Ruger Mini-30 (I think?) as a battle rifle.  The SKS could, of course, be pressed into service as a battle rifle.

I need more funds.  =)

D

vicious:

--- Quote from: donaldj on August 16, 2009, 04:12:23 PM ---I chose 7.62x39mm as my hunting round and my "battle rifle" round. I felt having common ammo types was important.

I have an old SKS I plan to use hunting, and have in the past, and am looking to get an AK47 or that Ruger Mini-30 (I think?) as a battle rifle.  The SKS could, of course, be pressed into service as a battle rifle.

--- End quote ---

This is something I have been thinking about myself. I currently have an AK-variant that I absolutely love, but it's more taticool. I also have a Norinco SKS, that I believe I can coerce into shooting reliably up to 300 yards. Anything beyond that would be a positive, but in the real world I think that would be beyond optimistic. In anycase, I try to limit my rounds to just a couple, and think it's a wise choice for a hunting variant. If I could find a saiga for the prices they were at 2 years ago, I'd definitely pick one of them up and leave it in the hunting configuration.

pug-shadow:
What is a good starting hunting rifle?

It sounds like the 30-06 might be

My wife and I are considering buying rural land in Arkansas maybe up by Fayetteville.

I think they mostly have deer there, but maybe bears as well.
We are just starting our research.

I thought it might be nice to get my hunting skills up so if we find a piece of property I can use it for hunting while we work on it.
I am also highly interested in the permaculture that Jack mentions on the podcasts and I think that would also help in attracting hunting game.

thoughts?

chileverde:
I am also in S. AZ. I currently use a 30-06 for most of my hunting. Others I know use .308 and .270.  All work equally well but I like the .30-60 because I occasionally get drawn for elk.

PistolWhipped:
Depends on your needs.  If you want pure performance and are willing to do a little reloading, I am a HUGE fan of the 7mm Remington Magnum, or it's little brother, the 7mm-08.  They are available into similar bullet weights as the 30s, are faster from less powder, and the trajectory is very flat.  They pack a mean punch at distance, especially the Rem Mag.

For cost and availability, the .308 is hard to beat.  .30-06 is another great choice, and I actually do prefer it to the .308.  What can I say, .30-06 was the grandfather of all American sniper cartridges, and the history of it holds a place in my heart.  If you reload, the .300 Win Mag offers even higher performance with the same diameter bullet.  If you already own a .30 cal rifle and reload, you can store one type of bullet for both guns.

For another classic, the .270 Winchester shouldn't be overlooked.  It's a .30-06 necked don to take a 6.8mm bullet.  Very fast, very flat, and very capable at all reasonable ranges.  And I see it a lot of places.  Very available commercially.

If the biggest you are going to is deer, the .22-250 is a good choice, and makes an excellent varmint round as well.  A friend of mine took his first deer with a .22-250.

I'd avoid any Ultra Mags, SAUMs, or other ridiculously fast rounds.   The powder burn and friction produced is highly detrimental to barrel wear.  They just burn out WAY too fast.

IF you foresee long range hunting usage, I'd recommend the 7mm Rem Mag.  If you want to do that with a more common round, .30-06 is hard to beat.

OH! And before I forget, if you want to do it relatively cheaply, don't overlook 7.62x54R.  Like a beefier Rimmed .308.  It is the longest running military cartridge in the world, having been adopted by Russia in 1891 (IIRC) and still being used to this day.  Milsurp can be had for a song, as can many soft point loads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version