Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

Ideal rifle caliber for medium size game

<< < (3/11) > >>

Uncle Bob (he ain’t right):
One thing to remember is you can get a chamber adapter to go from 30-06 to 308 if needed. You can't go back up. Also, there is a wider array of loads for the 30-06 and just about every old hardware store will have a box or two of 30-06 and 30-30

Taltoz:
I am a fan of the .270. Mine has never let me down.

Himarker:
 Up here in AK, I am a big fan of the 300 win mag.  You can shoot form caribou up to moose and have and adequate gun for Mr. Fuzzy (bears) if he decides to visit  you.  Lot of folks still carry the 30-06 up here but I am little more trusting of calibres with the work magnum following them if I run into Mr. Fuzzy.

khristopher23:

--- Quote from: Himarker on August 11, 2009, 09:31:58 PM --- Up here in AK, I am a big fan of the 300 win mag.  You can shoot form caribou up to moose and have and adequate gun for Mr. Fuzzy (bears) if he decides to visit  you.  Lot of folks still carry the 30-06 up here but I am little more trusting of calibres with the work magnum following them if I run into Mr. Fuzzy.

--- End quote ---

I've always heard you could probably take almost any game animal anywhere in the world safely and humanely with an '06, but if I lived in Alaska or Africa, I believe I would opt for a magnum as well. I wouldn't feel unsafe with a 30.06, I would just feel a little better with something a little bigger.

ModernSurvival:
My view is if a 30 cal is sufficient then an 06 is perfect and on the original post it would be very hard to beat.  The reality is there ain't a hill of beans in difference between the 08 and the 06 in the real world.  I stick to the 06 based on its history and undeniable class.  If you own a 308 assault rifle then I would go with that.  Just like if you own a Garand then go with the 06 but in the end the deer or elk shot with either won't know the difference trust me.

Now on Griz and such, I would not want to rely on a 30 cal for either if I had my choice.  But faster ain't cutting it for me I would say think bigger holes when it comes to changing a brown bears mind about turning you into compost.  338-06, 35 Whelen, 375 H&H, 338 Win Mag, etc. is what I would look to in Alaska or anywhere Mr. Griz might come calling.  

Personally though on the OP go with the 08 or 06, both will put you in Ammo in any sporting goods store in the country, both are proven and both can can probably shoot as far as you can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version