Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

Noob

<< < (2/6) > >>

wcff3431:
whats the limits on them where you are at i took bread bags with me squrriel hunting (keeps the blood from running down your back).

leatherneck:
I do a fair amount of squirrel hunting each year. I typically have a 22 rifle , small knife (3inch blade or less) game vest, binos, water, hand towel, a bar of soap and bags to carry the cleaned game in. Other than that all you need is a pair of comfortable and quiet boots. The main thing with squirrel is to move slowly, quietly and to watch for the slightest movement. Squirrel in the woods are a lot more Leary than those in town.

Lawyerman:
If you can bag a limit of squirrels you are ready to hunt deer. Not alot of equipment needed for squirrel hunting. I usually carry a rifle and extra ammo and a Camelback with some snacks and extra water/drinks. You will need a knife of some kind as well obviously.

On "dressing" squirrels there are a couple of different ways to do it. I will say that no matter what way you go it's quicker and easier when they are still warm- just after the kill and in the field. The way I do it is to make a small incision in the middle of the back at a right angle to the backbone. Then I insert my index and pointer fingers of each hand into the incision and pull in opposite directions. This will remove the hide quite easily. I cut the head off and of course the legs at the feet. Then you open up the body cavity and pull out all of the entrails. Done. Squirrels are easy.

Good luck.

kaiservontexas:

--- Quote from: wcff3431 on October 25, 2008, 03:41:04 PM ---whats the limits on them where you are at i took bread bags with me squrriel hunting (keeps the blood from running down your back).

--- End quote ---

The county has no bag limit for squirrels.

nate49080:
i really need to go small game hunting i havent done it in 10 years i think. i really want to take my son when he gets a little older so he can hopefully enjoy it while you still can hunt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version