Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

Noob

<< < (5/6) > >>

nafterize:

--- Quote from: Supertramp on December 21, 2008, 05:48:35 PM ---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_j-anybd20&feature=channel_page
this guy has a few videos of securing meat sources and butchering- this video is about the biggest squirrel i've ever seen and the eating of  it

--- End quote ---

I´m also a hunting noob. I have to say, I think that squirrel was juicing. It´s huge! I was surprised at how easy it is to clean one. That makes me want to go!

FreeFire:
In addition to what the others have said, the two things I'd say are of utmost importance: thermal layers and binoculars.

The thermals are indispensable, that or other moisture wicking garments. I can't count how many times I've been out in the woods hunting and cold has started creeping in. When you get cold, you tend to fidget or shiver, which diminishes stealth and reduces opportunities.

With the binos, it will help you scan your area with a fine tooth comb. Even if you're in a relatively tight quarters, the binos will assist in the analysis of targets and help you spot game earlier.

Roswell:
good call.  I went squirrel hunting this weekend and it was freezing.  The top of my water bottle froze to the bottle and I live in Georgia!  I didn't have binoculars, but I sure wish I had.  Next time.   :-[

Ultio1:
A map and a compass are good ideas and not terribly expensive.

Dan:
Glad to see I’m not the only noob around here.

I had a friend come over a few days ago so we could go over the synopsis together and he was a big help in clarifying what tags I need to get to go deer hunting this year. I tried last year but didn’t realize how far in advance you have to put in for tags and by that time it was too late. I have seen animals large and small gutted and skinned but I too would like to learn how to process my own meat.

As for gear I plan to hunt the BLM land behind my brothers place and will probably only be out a few hours but will be taking along enough stuff to keep me alive for a day or two, like a streamlined 72 hour kit, just in case something happens and it turns into an unintentional overnighter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version