Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Outdoors Activities

winter backpacking

<< < (3/11) > >>

donaldj:

--- Quote from: Jackson76 on December 13, 2009, 11:05:15 PM ---I'm not sure that I'm reading that correctly.  I hope you ment socks, then bags, then boots. Hiking in plastic bags all day would be a bad idea, in my opinion.  We did this as kids before we had water-proof boots,  long before gore-tex! 

--- End quote ---

The concept is known as "vapor barrier", which is what plastic bags and the like act as when used as insulation. There are a lot of people that believe in the idea, and many that don't.

http://www.warmlite.com/vb.htm

This link is a company that makes outstanding backpacking equipment, but they have some "interesting ideas" on some things. That page specifically talks about vapor barriers.

In short, if you are prone to sweating a lot, or "stink up" a shirt after a couple days of casual wear, you are probably not a good candidate to use vapor barrier insulation successfully. You need breathable gear. If you don't sweat that much at all, and can generally wear a shirt for a few days without it getting too gross, you are a good candidate for successful vapor barrier insulation use.

I was a good candidate for vapor barrier gear, but found it had a slick, clammy feel, so I prefer the regular, breathable gear.

womule:
You read it correctly. I wrote it wrong lol!  Socks, socks, THEN bread bags.

Jackson76:
Ok, good!  Otherwise I was going to have to send you a tub of goldbond!  Although, I always carry a good foot powder w/ me.  Interesting stuff in that link donaldj, thank you for that.

joeinwv:
Wool - stays warm when damp / wet. Dry gloves and dry socks are key. I have slept with hot rocks from the fire wrapped in a towel / blanket, never put them in my boots - good idea.

broken1:

--- Quote from: teton traveler on December 12, 2009, 09:06:05 PM ---If you have problems with your toes getting cold in your boots, you can get some toe warmers. They work just like the hand warming packets that warm up when exposed to air. Another trick. If you also have a hard time staying warm in a sleeping bag, even if it is a good one then just before bed, you can boil some water, then pour it into a nalgene bottle and close it up. Put this with you in your sleeping bag, but not directly against the skin. Not only does it help you stay nice and cozy all night long, but when you wake up, you also have purified water. Nothing beats being nice and warm at night.

--- End quote ---

QFT. You can always do what I did. Put two bottles in your bag, inside wool socks. Keeps it from being too hot, makes for a nicer texture to touch with your feet, helps it stay warmer longer and makes for warmish socks in the morning. It has made the difference. Also allowed me to stretch the heat range of a bag a little. I never got to try using them to prewarm boots because they went in the bag with me if it got to the point I would have thought I needed it.

--- Quote from: cohutt on December 13, 2009, 06:19:03 AM ---Yes to some sort of insulating mat - a basic 1" blue foam one from Wally world at a minimum.  the insulating loft of your bag is compressed under your body weight and you can lose a good bit of warmth vs the cold ground otherwise.

I have a thermarest self inflating one- seems like i spent 20-$30 many years ago and it works well. it insulates and takes the edge off of the roots and rocks for comfort.

--- End quote ---

Also true, conduction losses literally suck in mountaineering/winter backpacking conditions. I have a thermarest as well for those exact reasons. The ground will suck the heat right out of you regardless of your sleeping bag, which will be compressed under you... Site selection can have a big impact on comfort too. A natural obstacle to wind can help a tent retain heat better, as well as reduce flapping which can wake you up.

Layer your clothing. Being too hot means you sweat, then you have to consume more water, which means you have to collect and filter/purify more and then carry more so you don't have to stop and repeat too often. Controlling your temp through removing and adding layers saves you more of everything in the long run. I've been snowshoeing in base layer pants and a light shirt, and everything else tucked into my pack because I was burning up and drinking up my supply too fast.

Oh yea and everything from cohutt's post. He says bag balm, I use regular Vaseline cause that's what my coach taught us in ski team. Wind burn on your face and such can make fun suck fast. Also if the ground is snow covered DO use a full coverage goggle or sunglasses that fully cover from all angles, snow blindness is no joke and in addition to vision and or contrast loss can give you a real bitch kitty of a head ache.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version