Author Topic: 7ozMiniHatchetBit and Trail hawk bit: Splitting and combining with the Knife  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
I decided to take some pics while messing around today. I should the mini hatchet here http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...t=mini+hatchet And how it's quite a handy piece if kit size restrictions limit you. It outperforms some "choppers" with an expedient handle, is about 5/8 inch thick. It combines with the blade IMHO for splitting, keeping a long knife of less weight that is quicker in hand and often of longer reach then similar weighing more thick knives, and it chops if necessary- with great geometry that ejects the chips.

Tram 14 inch bolo: reach without too high of weight penalty. Very quick. Mechanical advantage on splitting wood isn't high obviously with the thin stock.

Sometimes it needs a little help in my opinion. You have to drive a thin blade like that a far ways down for the wood to pry away far enough to insert a fabricated wedge. The 7ozMHB can help, both using a baton.

The Mini on it's own with a baton

Combo: the long blade is cutting through splinters that are holding the two pieces of wood together, the mini at 5/8 started a nice split.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
The mini and Vector's Little Chill knife

The Mini and the Large Kabar Heavy Bowie

That's what happens when you combine a .240 knife with the Mini

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Using scrap lumber with a quick fab wedge for more Mechanical Advantage.

Mechanical Advange kicks butt!!!! Especially when you didn't have to carry a weighty piece of steel to provide it!

5/8 is quite effective on seasoned wood.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Why I love the geometry of the mini. The front bevels are at a wider angle, the gentle sloping to the widest point of the socket, and the back tapers off. This leaves an opening to insert a fabricated wood wedge, with just the mini driven in on it's own with a baton.

Wood wedge inserted.

And the wood is split no problem.

The trail hawk. You get to this point and the energy needed to split is in many cases too great to be overcome with a baton. No place to put a wood wedge in from the top if it's a piece about the thickness of the bit. The trail hawk isn't obviously as effiecent splitting profile as the mini, but with the large socket a much stronger handle connection obviously.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
However, since this wood is quite seasoned and dry a nice split started, so inserting it into the side works.

This branch is thicker then any knife blade I've ever seen...

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Tram and Trail Hawk combo-ing.

Look at the thin blade bend around the curvature of the grain.