Author Topic: How do I use this knife sharpener?  (Read 4896 times)

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
How do I use this knife sharpener?
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »
I recently purchased a Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8OTNC) and I would like to know if it's okay to use this sharpener on my knives when they're dry (i.e. no oil).  If I have some oil should I be using it?  Most of the time I will use the sharpener when I'm at home so oil would be available but there are sometime when I'll be in the field with no oil on me. 

For reference I would be using this to sharpen 8CR13MOV and 440 stainless blades.

Thanks.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: How do I use this knife sharpener?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:43:05 PM »
Since they are carbide sharpeners, I would say that you probably don't need oil. I haven't used this sharpener, but the other carbide sharpeners that I've seen/used don't need oil.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 06:24:24 AM »
You do not need to use any oil or other lubricants with this sharpener.

When the blade is dull, pass it through the carbide side a few times to start to put an edge back on it, then do the same through the ceramic side and you are done. 

Carbide sharpeners, also sometimes referred to as "rippers", were first used to sharpen lawncare and gardening tools before being applied to knives.  They sharpen by being harder than the blade you are passing through and shaving off some of the steel.  They work, but are hard on knives if all they need are touched up.  I've also found that they are not useful removing small nicks, but rather amplify them in the edge. 

A sharpener like this will give you a functional edge but I've yet to find one that makes a knife truly sharp.  For that you will want to use an abrasive system such as a whet/water stone, diamond stone, or wet/dry sandpaper.  My preferred combination is a synthetic whet stone from the local hardware store (course and fine sides, $5) and a stack of wet/dry sandpaper from 600 up through 2000 grit.  It makes a knife blade scary sharp and is inexpensive to put together ($20-25)

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:19:07 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I did some more research on the web and saw some pics on another forum which were microscope images of a blade run through this tool, it looked aweful.  It was quite ragged , non-uniform and did not look like it would keep an edge very long.  I will likely return the PP1.  Can you recommend a small sharpener that would result in a better edge and is small enought to be taken in the field.  Would a simple Arkansas stone work?  Thanks.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »
I've been using a fine Arkansas stone (about 4 inch long and 1 inch wide) for knives for many, many years.  Unless I really tear a knife up before I sharpen it.  The Arkansas does a great job.  (I carry a round diamond sharpener for the times I do enough damage to have to really get into the blade.   I am by far no expert though.  I really want to learn to get some extremely sharp edges some day, but generally stick to just barely sharp enough to shave with on a good day if i'm lucky LOL. 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »
I use the Pocket Pal for machete sharpening, but you can't get a really good edge with it.

For knives I use the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker.  The technique's easier to learn than traditional stones and you can get a shaving sharp edge without much effort.  Works great on 8Cr13Mov and most other steels, even S30V.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:58:11 PM »
I use a diamond rod sharpener in the field, similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Abrasives-Diamond-Retractable-Sharpener/dp/B001910FOA/

It doesn't yield a super fine edge, which I wouldn't expect it to, but for something not much bigger than 1/2 of a #2 pencil, it is functional enough to keep me cutting until I can get back to better supplies.  Perfect for a car kit or BOB, but if I were planning to never come home, I'd have at least 4" combination stone, in medium and fine.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:22:46 PM »
Yes Spartan, that is the one i have (but mines about 20 years old) and it works great for keeping a usable edge.  i hit it with the diamond then run a few strokes on the little Arkansas and it will do for a while.

inbox485

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »
This is a debate that will never end, but I'm firmly a believer that no stone should ever see so much as the oil in your finger tips let alone adding "honing" oil. That aside, your sharpener is not designed to work with oil.

Also that sharpener will never sharpen any blade the way a good sharpener will. It will however put a usable edge on just about any knife in a matter of seconds which makes it perfect for field use.

If you want a good cheap set up for home, give fine sand paper on top of a rubber foam mouse pad a try. I have $100 professional set ups that haven't seen the light of day since I discovered that method.

Here is the first vid I found on YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDEXuFpeac

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 11:15:33 PM »
This is a debate that will never end, but I'm firmly a believer that no stone should ever see so much as the oil in your finger tips let alone adding "honing" oil. That aside, your sharpener is not designed to work with oil.

I just use spit, but I have used oil in the past. Spit is cheaper. All you need is a medium to float the steel dust out of the pores of the stone. Spit works fine.