Author Topic: Wet Weather And Out With The Hoodlum Knife  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Wet Weather And Out With The Hoodlum Knife
« on: July 27, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »
It's raining cats and dogs, decided to go for a hike and work on my fire skills. I moved under some cedar for the overhead cover from the rain. Selected Cedar to get the fire going because it was raining, cut a standing dead off quickly with my fiskars saw, batoned 4 wet sides off very quickly, batoned a thin slab, then stabbed the hoodlum tip first into the slab on the end, and used the wood itself to quickly get 5 thin pieces of wood, I then feathered them. Repeated. Got 10 feather sticks. Batoned the remaining wood into larger chunks. Held the feather bundle, started it with my bic, and put them in the cave cooking stove. The intensity of the heat from the feathers had no problem igniting the bigger wood quicker. Planked off some more thin pieces with the hoodlum, then I fed the fire bigger pieces.

I smoked my clothes, watched the birds, listened to the thunder, and had a nice little time feeding my fire.

It amazes me how quickly one can get a fire going in the rain with a big blade. Thank you cedar, and the hoodlum knife did really good both batoning and feathering.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Wet Weather And Out With The Hoodlum Knife
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:05:58 PM »
Nice knife write up - I like a big knife in the woods. I also envy people who have cedar and birch in their woods. Here I keep my eyes peeled for pine resin and fatwood.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Wet Weather And Out With The Hoodlum Knife
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »
haha aint' that the truth brother :) got to know where the good resources are!