Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Gear and Tool Review Board

Dynamo Radio

<< < (2/2)

Brian Gallimore:
I have the Kaito KA009 http://www.amazon.com/Kaito-KA009-Powerd-Emergency-Radio/dp/B000E68282/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231214023&sr=8-1, very similar to the one above, but this one cost a bit more... $35 I think.  It works pretty good, very handy to have when the power goes out.

Taylor3006:
The little Dynamos have always appealed to me but I was given a BayGen radio that is about as tough as a tank. The downside is that it is only AM/FM and I need another radio for SW. If I had my rathers, I would like to see a tough BayGen radio that could pick up not only SW but the TV channels as well. Not sure if anyone has ever noticed or not, but in an emergency, local television has a tendency to be more on top of things than radio stations. I think many radio stations are preprogrammed somewhere other than the local market and it takes longer for them to react.

Brian Gallimore:
This just occurred to me:
We are about to switch from analog to digital broadcast TV... and when that happens, my radio will no longer be able to receive TV stations!

creuzerm:

--- Quote from: kb5won on January 06, 2009, 05:34:06 AM ---This just occurred to me:
We are about to switch from analog to digital broadcast TV... and when that happens, my radio will no longer be able to receive TV stations!

--- End quote ---

The 1600 biggest stations are changing over in February. The last I have read, the remaining little stations will remain on analog for an unknown amount of time. So, if your out in the sticks, you should be ok for a little while.

Makes you want to get a hand crank AM/FM/Shortwave/Longwave/Digital TV radio now, eh?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version