The TSP Marketplace > Members Support Brigade Forum

Planting potatoes

(1/6) > >>

Lost_Airplane:
The last time I really got excited was after my first batch of beer bread, but today I planted seed potatoes in three kinds of containers.  Next project:  Biltong.  I love the videos, keep 'em coming!

Jeff Drake
St. Louis, Missouri

portwand:
I love beer bread!!!  My brother & I used to always make it when we were kids.  Two weekends ago, watched video and also planted potatoes in container.  I live in the Carolinas and we have had a couple of cold nights but lots of rain and just checked my container this morning and I have little green shoots poking up from the soil.  I've never grown potatoes before so I am very excited.  Keep me posted on how your potatoes do... :)

Lost_Airplane:
I will provide periodic updates on my little spuds!  Jack has really taken my "inner voice" and given it a forum to express itself.  Since listening to the podcasts we have purchased a greenhouse, begun planting veggies under the grow lights, and purchased a small piece of land to eventually serve as our bug-out location.......all things I have been wanting to do for years but needed a kick in the booty to get me started!  And the best part....my wife is totally on board with prepping and food storage.  It makes all the difference. 

Go taters!!
Jeff - St. Louis, MO

DeepSea1985:
Last year was our first serious year for the vegetable garden at our new home in middle Tennessee and the clay soil presented some challenges. One crop we tried was sweet potatoes with poor success. I may have got them in too late or didn’t add enough compost to loosen up soil. At any rate there was plenty of above ground growth but taters were real small….

So this time around we picked up some seed potatoes at the local farmer’s coop last week and I’m going to try an above ground system ….Tires won’t cut it in the wife’s garden for esthetics reasons and I’d like to incorporate them into the raised garden bed area rather than pots since we’ve already got an irrigation system in place…..So I’m working on a design for an expandable, (in height), box and  using cedar fence boards…If I engineer a workable design that is reasonable simple, (and acceptable to the wife), and it actually produces results I’ll share…

ModernSurvival:

--- Quote from: DeepSea1985 on April 08, 2009, 09:14:05 PM ---Last year was our first serious year for the vegetable garden at our new home in middle Tennessee and the clay soil presented some challenges. One crop we tried was sweet potatoes with poor success. I may have got them in too late or didn’t add enough compost to loosen up soil. At any rate there was plenty of above ground growth but taters were real small….

So this time around we picked up some seed potatoes at the local farmer’s coop last week and I’m going to try an above ground system ….Tires won’t cut it in the wife’s garden for esthetics reasons and I’d like to incorporate them into the raised garden bed area rather than pots since we’ve already got an irrigation system in place…..So I’m working on a design for an expandable, (in height), box and  using cedar fence boards…If I engineer a workable design that is reasonable simple, (and acceptable to the wife), and it actually produces results I’ll share…

--- End quote ---

Simplified Construction

Get 4 Pallets and tie or wire them together in a square

Take cedar fence slats and face the front of each pallet (or just three sides if one side is up against a wall or a fence

Done

You can get the pallets for free the fence slats can often be reclaimed as well too if you look for places where fence is being replaced, etc.  Good way to build a compost bin too.  For a bin skip the slats and just put chicken wire on the inside, build two side by side and mixing is easy too.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version