Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 6283190 times)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #25020 on: March 25, 2018, 12:46:20 AM »
Weather was finally good enough yesterday to forge again (that means: tools didn't stick frozen to the hands) to I made first knife blades of this year. Both for practice and for income. After that, I used the hot forge to melt some lead pipes and cast bunch of 18mm balls. Good for some of my BP smoothbores, also usable for 12ga shotguns.
Reloaded some .40SW ammo, making several samples with old and new components to find out what caused the massive primer failures I had recently. Also made a sample with different powder, will see how that goes. I may switch to it, as it's easier to find in my current region.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25021 on: March 25, 2018, 03:37:55 PM »
Ok, I know this isn't really a daily prepping thing, but since we've discussed it here already, I'd like to post an update to my reloaded ammo primer faiure epidemy: the testing series of my reloads were tried today at the range. I made/ shot these samples:
- old primers + old powder (done on the same press and dies, everything as it was left after the failed serie)
- new primers + old powder
- new primers + new powder (different kind of powder), just to see if there's something I do wrong mechanically
- old reloads from about August - November 2017, made of the same supply of primers and powder as the failed series
- Magtech factory ammo, just to make completely sure the gun is ok (though that was nearly impossible, the failed ammo was two different reloaded calibers that failed in 5 different guns)
RESULT: 100% of the tested sample fired flawlessly today.
Ok, I'm officially out of ideas. Anyone?
I've left some of each and will let those rounds sit for a couple weeks. In case the old powder was somehow chemically bad and corrupted the primes over time, the samples containing it should show some failures next time. If there's a problem in the press (oil where it shouldn't be and such), all samples should fail. Just to make sure, I've completely disassembled and cleaned the powder tool when I switched to new powder).

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #25022 on: March 25, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »
  Either just bad luck...or more likely a few primers suffered from irregularity in manufacturing.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25023 on: March 25, 2018, 04:45:12 PM »
  Either just bad luck...or more likely a few primers suffered from irregularity in manufacturing.

^^^^^^^This and perhaps being over analyzed.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25024 on: March 25, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
The few bad primers are about 80% of the batch.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25025 on: March 25, 2018, 04:53:58 PM »
  I would call that a bad batch..

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25026 on: March 25, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
No idea. I've never reloaded since all my inherited tooling and supplies went overboard a couple years ago. Darn whales....

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25027 on: March 26, 2018, 01:30:03 AM »
  Today I woke up at 2 AM to start a 'day' as I work about when I am awake and sleep when tired because I can no longer live by the dictates of schedules and maintain any level of quality of life with my lengthening list of infirmities. I still refuse to take pain killing drugs as they effected my mind too dramatically in the past and while the pain does cause it to be a task to form complete thoughts ...it helps me have fewer stupid thoughts.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25028 on: March 26, 2018, 10:51:49 AM »
  Today I woke up at 2 AM to start a 'day' as I work about when I am awake and sleep when tired because I can no longer live by the dictates of schedules and maintain any level of quality of life with my lengthening list of infirmities. I still refuse to take pain killing drugs as they effected my mind too dramatically in the past and while the pain does cause it to be a task to form complete thoughts ...it helps me have fewer stupid thoughts.
Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.  It is amazing that you can express your thoughts so well and help others with your advice.  Based on your postings, you don’t “look” like you are ill. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25029 on: March 26, 2018, 11:32:19 AM »
Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.  It is amazing that you can express your thoughts so well and help others with your advice.  Based on your postings, you don’t “look” like you are ill.

Typing with one ,sometimes two,fingers and a good spell checker helps...mind is working but body is ready to quit. Thanks...but I do now look like Uncle Fester from the Munsters as I am 6 foot 5 and 340 pounds...chemo makes me bald...not a pretty sight.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25030 on: March 26, 2018, 12:24:01 PM »
I think Carl is a tough ol' bird.  ;)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25031 on: March 26, 2018, 12:34:32 PM »
Ok, I'm officially out of ideas. Anyone?

any chance that batch of reloads was left in a high temp environment before using them?
i.e. in a car for a few days

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25032 on: March 26, 2018, 03:20:55 PM »
  Even exposure to sunlight will degrade primers within days...enough to effect performance as powder and primer are ,in effect,BURNING or oxidizing,from the day they are made and speed up when mechanically struck or sparked.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25033 on: March 26, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »
Shelling some dried ear corn from last years crop. Storing in pickle jars.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25034 on: March 26, 2018, 03:45:56 PM »
Typing with one ,sometimes two,fingers and a good spell checker helps...mind is working but body is ready to quit. Thanks...but I do now look like Uncle Fester from the Munsters as I am 6 foot 5 and 340 pounds...chemo makes me bald...not a pretty sight.
Funny about Uncle Fester!  Minor point—Addams Family.  Can you do the lightbulb trick?  Seriously, I wish you well and hope that the chemo is doing what it is supposed to do.  You are a valuable contributor to this world.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25035 on: March 26, 2018, 03:52:13 PM »
Funny about Uncle Fester!  Minor point—Addams Family.  Can you do the lightbulb trick?  Seriously, I wish you well and hope that the chemo is doing what it is supposed to do.  You are a valuable contributor to this world.

You are correct...Adam's Family...even I forget sometimes and with all the radiation treatments I went through I bet I have super powers and with that
I offer my Google Drive where a load of collected files of many interesting subjects may be safely read or downloaded safely as I never know what may come next for me and my 25 years of collection must be shared to have value. Any one with the link can access and download about 50 to 60 Gigabytes of valuable info ..FREE as I found it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIMFlYMTI5OTNlUTA

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #25036 on: March 26, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »
     Carl, I guess this really points out that we all have our own definition of survival. You and I have sparred on some political issues, but as one cancer survivor (still working on it) to another, every sunrise we see is another opportunity to survive. For me, surviving means seeing that sunrise, but living means so much more. Here's hoping that we both have as much joy, and as many sunrises as possible, out of living.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25037 on: March 27, 2018, 03:24:58 AM »
  I have made it to this day and can only hope for the future. I have differing opinions than many here on TSP (and other places) but try my best to have only ideas in conflict and NOT PERSONALITIES as we all have different environments that form our opinions and the world would be a worse place if we all were in agreement.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25038 on: March 27, 2018, 09:23:44 PM »
- Garden: My youngest and I cleared 2 raised beds today, only 1/4 of one of them was overrun with blackberries.... these 2 beds were in bad shape from neglect and drought last year, with soil subsidence. So, I put alot of goat stall cleaning on top, never realy spread it well, didnt cover the beds, hence weeds. But, the soil is in so much better shape now, and soil level is up to proper height, and absolutely full of worms. This year they are going back into production. We also cleared an overgrown area by the deck and got leaves and such off the (drained and not being used) solar thermal panels. Put thick layer of goat stall cleanings to much citrus trees.

- Livestock: Had an emergency call and took back 2 does that were born here, they are 3years old, never bred. They are in good shape, but way too fat, my youngest figures they are body condition 10 (obese), maybe too well taken care of, hooves trimmed now, health otherwise looks good. Plan is to give them away for free once we get the registration papers back in hand. Hay unloaded, unfortunatelly they were in the truck, under the shell, thru last weeks storm and water got in the truck bed, so some of a few bales will go to mulch.

- House energy upgrades: Rarely do much of it, but this week, having help, we cut out pieces of R-max thermasheath to fit between studs of "cold" wall where downstairs shower is ripped out. This back wall behind shower has unheated space on the other side ( the laundryroom/pantry) this wall was previously uninsulated. Condensation could form in such a wall with hot shower water hitting the one side, and freezing on the other. We ran out of steam that day, but the messy part comes next, as each piece has to be spray foamed or caulked on all edges, no hot air should be able to touch the cold wall. So, we only did the part of the wall exposed by the missing shower stall, about 3 ft wide. We realy liked using a drywall keyhole hand saw to cut the insulation boards. When you use this insulation board in unvented spaces always have it flush against the cold side, and leave the airgap on the warm side. I have done unvented short ceiling cavities this way, push this up flush against the roofing deck, between each rafter, make sure to spray great stuff foam on all seams so no air can get to the roof deck from the living area. then drywall the ceiling.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25039 on: March 27, 2018, 11:50:55 PM »
I am toying with the idea of using our apartment bathroom as an expedient fallout shelter.
I noticed that the apartment is laid out in a Pi shape, with rooms on the outer ring, a hall/passageway forming the middle one, and the bathroom being the core.
As a result there, are mostly 3 walls with brick and mortar separating you from the outside.  And there is also room enough inside, to place a cot or a single matress.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25040 on: March 28, 2018, 09:05:42 AM »
Shell the rest of the saved ear corn for seed and store in mason jars.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25041 on: March 28, 2018, 09:01:23 PM »
Other than doing some woodcarving and blacksmithing for living, I've studied some historical axes and tomahawks to learn more about all the various ways to make them.
I've set up a grab&go magazine bag for Saiga 12, as all my usual vests and rigs have too small pockets for these huge 12ga mags. I bought three special Saiga mag pouches from Russia recently and planned to have them on a leg rig, but for now I ended up using them for this setup. Used a Maxpedition Manta (pretty much a molle platform with comfortable shoulder strap and two CCW compartments) and attached three Saiga mag pouches to it, along with pistol mag pouch and small pouch that holds two Israeli bandages. Large Rajah II folding kukri fits nicely into one of the pockets and is easy to draw. Nothing more, no extra junk, just ammo, knife and bandages. The whole set is very handy and comfortable, I think I'll keep it. The large mag pouches can be used not only for Saiga mags, but for any other mags I have, which makes it very versatile (yes, some mags would be very loose but on the other hand, my other most often carried long gun is AKS-74U and its magazines fit in the pouches by two, so it's even better that way).

My rice/meat diet is still going on. I'm afraid I won't come up with too many more rice flavouring recipes, as I got stuck on the curried parched/steamed rice, just can't beat it since. I don't have a scale, so I can only guess how much weight I've lost, but it must be quite a bit: yesterday my pants fell while I carried some firewood from the woods and I fell too :)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25042 on: March 29, 2018, 09:39:20 AM »

My rice/meat diet is still going on. I'm afraid I won't come up with too many more rice flavouring recipes, as I got stuck on the curried parched/steamed rice, just can't beat it since. I don't have a scale, so I can only guess how much weight I've lost, but it must be quite a bit: yesterday my pants fell while I carried some firewood from the woods and I fell too :)

8)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25043 on: March 29, 2018, 09:28:28 PM »
Finally finished my fiber-optic sight set for Saiga 12. Will have to test it yet, but so far it looks really good.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25044 on: March 30, 2018, 12:51:52 AM »
  Helped a NEW fellow Ham produce some power cables and options for his new ICOM 7200 HF radio and loaned a portable battery box for him to test the requirements of his radio and portable operation so as to 'size' a portable power option for his needs.I also began work to repair an EBAY special antenna tuner he had purchased while NOW he took my advise and ordered an LDJ AT200 Pro auto tuner for his radio's safe use and versatility.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25045 on: March 30, 2018, 04:33:58 PM »
  Helped a NEW fellow Ham produce some power cables and options for his new ICOM 7200 HF radio and loaned a portable battery box for him to test the requirements of his radio and portable operation so as to 'size' a portable power option for his needs.I also began work to repair an EBAY special antenna tuner he had purchased while NOW he took my advise and ordered an LDJ AT200 Pro auto tuner for his radio's safe use and versatility.

I've been curious to operate an IC-7200.  Have yet to run into another ham with one.  Looks like the display is small given the overall size of the thing.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25046 on: March 30, 2018, 04:53:56 PM »
I've been curious to operate an IC-7200.  Have yet to run into another ham with one.  Looks like the display is small given the overall size of the thing.

I goofed ,He has a 7300 and I will get hands on soon for a report...I have used a 7200 and it is not as capable as your FT450 though the IC7100 ultra-portable from ICOM ,i feel is still way better than the 7200 and even beats the FT857 for its more refined receiverand DSP plus record and parameters backup on chip and touch screen PLUS the 7100 is $300 plus lower cost than the 7300...(the user thinks the color display and waterfall are necessary ,they are not)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25047 on: March 31, 2018, 06:09:16 PM »
What a day...

Rebuilt a section of cedar fence.
Soldered a morse code keyer kit (https://qrpguys.com/qrpguys-code-trainer)
Kegged some home brewed beer.
Went on a 10 mile bicycle ride.
Sawed through the cord on my circular saw and fixed it.
Talked to Carl and a few other hams.

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25048 on: March 31, 2018, 07:37:54 PM »
Getting garden ready for planting. Trying to decide best place for the green house. Went to a grocery store that is going out of business, (Farm Fresh) and went through the sales to add to my stock. Will be going back in about a week to see how the prices are dropping again. Right now up to 30% off purchase. So didn't get a lot on this round. Mostly things I can't get anywhere else. Also been doing some sewing. Still hard for me with my hands but I am getting it done.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #25049 on: March 31, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »
Also been doing some sewing. Still hard for me with my hands but I am getting it done.

Must have been a sewing day AJ, I worked on 3 dresses myself. You probably didnt bend 1, 2.. errrrr.. 3 needles either.  ::)

Cedar