Farm, Garden and The Land > Live Stock, Critters and Aquaculture

Getting Rid of Stray Cats... Ethically

<< < (11/12) > >>

Docwatmo:

--- Quote from: mountainmoma on October 26, 2018, 10:51:14 AM ---
- Is it ethical to knowingly trap your neighbors pet cat, even if allowed under law ?

--- End quote ---

Yes it is.  Particularly if you've warned your neighbor multiple times, and have been through the 2 minimum trap and notify procedures. (After a dozen or more warnings and reminders of the ordinance)  Cat, Dog, Ferret, Rabbit, they are all the same.  They are pets and if not maintained and controlled by their owner, they are nuisance animals.      It's not something I would want to do, but if their cat is being a nuisance animal and they have been warned several times, and their cat has been trapped several times and they still don't make any effort to maintain their pet on their own property, then I have no problem with it.  I've been fortunate to never have to do it.  But I have a neighbor 3 houses down who's next door neighbor fed a bunch of stray cats and called them "Her pets" and he ended up trapping 7 of them and turning them over to animal control before the police finally made a visit to her house and she stopped feeding the strays.    That was about 8 years ago and we have only seen 2 strays since then and neither stayed in the area long. 

Is it ethical to have a pet and not maintain control of it?  Is it ethical to allow your pet to defecate in your neighbors yard?  Is it ethical to feed strays causing them to hang out and become nuisance animals?   

Sailor:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cats-invasive-species-in-your-backyard-cbsn-originals/

scoop:
Maybe this?
https://youtu.be/kWEZfNiHLF0

Docwatmo:
Just to assure anyone seeing the video.  The video is fake.  No cats were harmed in the filming. 

machinisttx:
If it were me, I'd speak to the neighbors and make it plain that I had a severe allergy and that I would hold them financially liable for any damages and/or medical treatment required as a result of their failure to keep their pet on their own property. I don't know of anywhere that an individual isn't legally responsible for keeping their pet on their own property or damages for failure to do so. If they aren't capable of keeping their pets on their own property(with rare exceptions), they shouldn't have a pet.

If my dog gets loose and runs the neighbor's livestock, the neighbor is very likely going to shoot my dog, period. If any of those livestock are injured or killed as a result, they can and probably will have me pay for such expenses. If I had livestock, I'd do the same. I know most of my neighbors and my family has been here long enough to have known their parents, grandparents, and likely their great grandparents. We get along and help each other out when possible. Also, in my county, there is a leash law...meaning your pet must be on a leash if not contained on your property. I'm pretty sure there is also a state or county law that says if you feed a stray, you are responsible for it as it is then considered your pet.

I had a problem here for a few months of something tearing up my trash after I set it out. I eliminated a few stray cats and it stopped. Later on, it started again. Dad happened to come by at just the right time and caught a dog in the act. The same dog had been giving a few other neighbors problems. Guess what happened to the dog? Anyone that values or cares for their pet will keep it on their own property, not let it run loose to get hit by a car, damage other's property, etc..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version