Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

Are black powder rifles/pistols sustainable?

<< < (3/11) > >>

mangyhyena:

--- Quote from: jasperg357 on September 09, 2011, 08:01:39 PM ---I own a 50 cal. percussion rifle and I make my own bullets which is pretty simple if you have the right molds.
As far as using it in a SHTF situation I can see were it would come in pretty handy if civilization is pretty much knocked back 100 years with no chance of recovering in are life time. Black powder if stored properly will last a very long time. But why not just store extra ammo for a modern weapon? If properly stored it will last pretty much just as long. And I would hate to been in a gun fight with some one with a Ar-15 and me with only a one shot black powder rifle.

--- End quote ---

Just hit what you aim at and you can add an AR-15 to your supplies.  Oh, and you should probably ambush Mr. AR-15 guy from behind. 
You've got to look at situations like that in a more positive light. ;D.

I agree with storing regular ammo, which I do.  I was just wondering about the sustainable angle for future generations.  Also, I think flintlocks are pretty neat and knew I'd learn something from you all if I posted about them.

What I'd really like to own is one of those black powder pistols with the blade under the barrel.  It looks slightly larger than a Derringer and I think I read somewhere it was a pirates' type gun for boarding and repelling a boarding.  No big survival reason for wanting this, I just want it some day because it looked unique.  I'd also like a BP Derringer for the same reason.

LdMorgan:
A person can make their own black powder--but it's a fairly tedious & complicated process if you want a quality product with consistent performance.  Caking and grinding, for example.

If not percussion, then flintlocks. If not flintlocks, then matchlocks.

Shot can be made without molds--it just requires a shot tower, a little gravity, and some water down below.

If technology dropped back a hundred to two hundred years, I'd probably just say heck with it and go back to bows and arrows. Crossbows for hunting maybe, and longbows for war.

Longbows are more accurate at longer ranges, fire faster, don't reveal your location, and don't obscure your vision with clouds of smoke.

bdhutier:
A flintlock weapon is probably one of the most sustainable projectile weapons available.  It really doesn't matter whether it's a musket (military weapon) or not, rifled or smoothbore.  I guess the smoothie does have the advantage of a good shot pattern ve. the rifle, but when talking roundball, it really doesn't matter.  Blackpowder is all I would hunt with, since it's the most sustainable, but my home/personal defense weapons are all centerfire. 

FYI, patches are wrapped around bullets, and can be made of damn near anything as long as it's a natural material (no polyester, etc.).  Wadding goes between powder and shot, or under balls in revolvers (if you choose to use them, which I don't).  Bullet molds are cheap, and a must for survivability.  And yes, I know of many people who hunt rabbit and squirrel with a .58 or bigger with reduced loads.

Soupbone: .62cal is just a hair bigger than a 20ga (.620 vs. .596).  I've been thinking about trying shot cups in my .72 SxS, but I really don't want the plastic to streak the bore.

rustyknife:
I have a "flinter" and shoot it when I can for the vary same reasons mentioned above. However if you go with a flinter, practice as often as you can in all kinds of weather. Learn to knap your own flints. They are really fun to shoot and I love to read the history books about that time period but they can be finicky.

madcatter:
as long as your a better shot than us you could probably survive
we have ordered a mill and are going to expirement on making our own black powderthis summer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7SzfrOhaLU

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version