Community & Regional Connections > Region Eight

Work in So. California, home is western Washington

<< < (2/2)

UnderTheRadar:
Thanks everyone!

I have seen the hoop nets on the public docks, but nobody was catching anything.  I later learned that all the action happens after the sun goes down, and I did not like the area enough to go after dark.  I will try surf fishing though.  I like food gathering methods that don't require as much gear and money as diving, but a pole and bait would work. 

Up in the Puget Sound (western washington) it is incredibly easy to catch huge (7") red rock crab from a canoe using ring nets and pots.  I miss that.

I still have a motorcycle license, but I've done 6 hour rides and my back just won't put up with it.  Plus, there is no way I am bugging out through Los Angeles.  I plan to head east far enough to get around the masses fleeing LA before heading north.  That means I need 40 gallons of gas if I assume that I can't buy any on the way.  I'm thinking about a small trailer for gas & gear, and rotate one of the 5 gallon gas cans every week.  Pulling a trailer, I may need 50 gallons.

UnderTheRadar

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: UnderTheRadar on January 23, 2009, 11:04:06 PM ---Thanks everyone!

I have seen the hoop nets on the public docks, but nobody was catching anything.  I later learned that all the action happens after the sun goes down, and I did not like the area enough to go after dark.  I will try surf fishing though.  I like food gathering methods that don't require as much gear and money as diving, but a pole and bait would work. 

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure exactly where you are, but if you want a safe place to go after dark, I can't think of a safer beach than Seal.  Of course, I'm a little biased.  I lived there for much of my childhood.  The pier doesn't close until after 10 PM.  And there is  a jetty there too...  *shrugs*

Gas-Mask:
I think it's a little better when your with someone... I know what you mean.... as far as not digging going there at night....  As far as the local people fishing... YES!  Sister Wolf is right about the people.  My clan was once part of that.  When I was a kid, I remember translating for my dad when other fellow fishermen would start up a conversation that did not speak Spanish.  Tip's on bait, times, and type of catch would be norm both ways...  I miss that.  We would go over to the light house over on Cabrio Beach overnight.  But again, we were always at least 2...  My dad would go alone when I was too young.  None the less, it's better when there are two or more. 

Those were great times.   

I don't know much about lobsters though.  I've heard stories but then again, that was pre mid 1990's....  Along with the stories of there "being way more fish than there is now"(at that time.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version