Author Topic: Work in So. California, home is western Washington  (Read 927 times)

Offline UnderTheRadar

• Senior Survivalist
    • Tactical Woodgas - run your generator on scrap wood
Work in So. California, home is western Washington
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »
I work a couple hours south of Los Angeles, but home & family is 1000 miles north.  Right now a steady job is worth the travel.

Just wanted to say hi and see if there are any SoCal coastal people here.  Especially if you have sucessfully caught lobster without a boat or with a kayak.

UnderTheRadar

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Work in So. California, home is western Washington
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:26:55 AM »
Welcome UnderTheRadar!

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:44:38 PM »
Welcome....  Now, I'm not near the coast....   :-[ .

But I can say this...  Your bug out vehicle will be a Motorcycle!!!!!  If you ever need to head home, you will be able to cut through traffic.  Also, take a look at overland motorcycle forums/clubs for great info on how to set up your bike....   

Well, I guess your car will work for now....  Just keep it tuned and equipped...

Sorry, I've had a little too much caffeine... :o

Welcome.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:50:10 PM »
I work a couple hours south of Los Angeles, but home & family is 1000 miles north.  Right now a steady job is worth the travel.

Just wanted to say hi and see if there are any SoCal coastal people here.  Especially if you have successfully caught lobster without a boat or with a kayak.

UnderTheRadar

Hey UnderTheRadar!  The Wilderness and I are about 45 minutes from the coast in Southern California.  I'm no expert lobster-catcher, but I DO know that fishing off the pier in our coastal communities (huntington beach, & seal beach in particular - and now that I think about it, I seem to remember that Santa Monica pier doesn't require a license either, but you should check into that, just in case) does not require a fishing license (as long as you actually take the fish on the pier, and don't go down to the beach to finish the fight), and the local fishermen & women are extremely friendly and helpful.  I'd hazard a guess that any one of them would be happy to share their knowledge with you, UTR, if you were bold enough to ask, and patient enough to deal with answers that are slow and a little bit broken.  Most of our fishers (not all, but most) don't speak English as their first language.  They're almost all immigrants from one non-English speaking country or another, but they will teach you what to fish, how to fish it, what bait to use, and when to do it if you're open minded enough to let them.  If you asked them to teach you to catch lobsters, they'd probably point you in the right direction, if nothing else.

n2light

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »
UTR,

I used to dive a lot around the Pennisula and Redondo Beach.  Pulled quite a few lobster night diving off Sapphire St. where it ends on the Esplande in Redondo Beach.  There is beach access between the condo/apts.  If you swim off the beach about 100 yards the bottom starts sloping off into the trench.  Got most of the bugs in 60-80 foot.  If you happen to be there when the squid are laying their eggs it looks like a white shag carpet.. ;D  There's halibut down there too.

Lunada Bay and Malaga Cove have some in shallow in the eel grass, however it's hard to find legal bugs and it's a hike to get to the water.

Check in with Dive 'n Surf in Redondo, sometimes they will part with secret spots.. ;)

Offline UnderTheRadar

• Senior Survivalist
    • Tactical Woodgas - run your generator on scrap wood
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:04:06 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I have seen the hoop nets on the public docks, but nobody was catching anything.  I later learned that all the action happens after the sun goes down, and I did not like the area enough to go after dark.  I will try surf fishing though.  I like food gathering methods that don't require as much gear and money as diving, but a pole and bait would work. 

Up in the Puget Sound (western washington) it is incredibly easy to catch huge (7") red rock crab from a canoe using ring nets and pots.  I miss that.

I still have a motorcycle license, but I've done 6 hour rides and my back just won't put up with it.  Plus, there is no way I am bugging out through Los Angeles.  I plan to head east far enough to get around the masses fleeing LA before heading north.  That means I need 40 gallons of gas if I assume that I can't buy any on the way.  I'm thinking about a small trailer for gas & gear, and rotate one of the 5 gallon gas cans every week.  Pulling a trailer, I may need 50 gallons.

UnderTheRadar

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 11:19:49 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I have seen the hoop nets on the public docks, but nobody was catching anything.  I later learned that all the action happens after the sun goes down, and I did not like the area enough to go after dark.  I will try surf fishing though.  I like food gathering methods that don't require as much gear and money as diving, but a pole and bait would work. 

I'm not sure exactly where you are, but if you want a safe place to go after dark, I can't think of a safer beach than Seal.  Of course, I'm a little biased.  I lived there for much of my childhood.  The pier doesn't close until after 10 PM.  And there is  a jetty there too...  *shrugs*

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 12:18:29 AM »
I think it's a little better when your with someone... I know what you mean.... as far as not digging going there at night....  As far as the local people fishing... YES!  Sister Wolf is right about the people.  My clan was once part of that.  When I was a kid, I remember translating for my dad when other fellow fishermen would start up a conversation that did not speak Spanish.  Tip's on bait, times, and type of catch would be norm both ways...  I miss that.  We would go over to the light house over on Cabrio Beach overnight.  But again, we were always at least 2...  My dad would go alone when I was too young.  None the less, it's better when there are two or more. 

Those were great times.   

I don't know much about lobsters though.  I've heard stories but then again, that was pre mid 1990's....  Along with the stories of there "being way more fish than there is now"(at that time.)