The TSP Marketplace > Backyard Food Production

Sugar Addiction

<< < (3/8) > >>

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: Spamity Calamity on December 31, 2009, 05:59:02 PM ---And why is this in the "back yard food production" forum? Dont we have some kind of health sub form we could move this too?

--- End quote ---

Backyard Food Production is the name of a company (notice that this is in the TSP Marketplace).  That company belongs to ForestGarden, and they decided that this post belonged here.  Since they're the moderator of this board, I don't see any reason why it should not be here.  :)

Also, just for scientific knowledge (which I'm sure you're interested in), certain kinds of fungal infections, and/or yeast infections can most definitely make you crave sugar - particularly Candida albicans.  There are also certain conditions that can cause both sugar cravings, and susceptibility to fungal infections (insulin resistance, for example).

HTH.

sclindah:
I have gone through sugar withdrawal going off sugar so I can second the notion of a sugar addiction.  Everyone can verify this by trying to go without any or sugar laden products.  It can lead to headaches and a sick feeling not to mention cravings for it.  It lasts 3-4 days and then subsides.  One of our other bad things is the high fructose corn syrup.  We get fructose naturally in sugars but this stuff is a big reason for obesity in the US.

As far as your brain needing sugar, it needs glucose which is converted by the breakdown of foods and we can get enough without sugar!

As a type II diabetic, I have found it is better to avoid the spikes and let the body use the whole grains and real foods in making whatever glucose we need.

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: sclindah on January 05, 2010, 05:11:24 PM ---As far as your brain needing sugar, it needs glucose which is converted by the breakdown of foods and we can get enough without sugar!

--- End quote ---

Absolutely true.  Glucose is your brain's preferred source of energy, but if you don't have enough high-glucose foods in your diet (namely, carbohydrates & sugars), it will resort to using protein to get its glucose (which isn't necessarily a good thing, because proteins are needed desperately to carry out other functions - but it probably won't seriously harm you... probably...).  It isn't just your brain that loves glucose, though, it's also the ONLY energy source that works for your red blood cells (RBC's) and your central nervous system (CNS).

Glucose is a super important energy source for our bodies, but you don't have to get it from the sugar we all used to pour on our cherrios.  Personally, I love sugar, and I won't stop eating it when I think I deserve a little treat.  But for those who have kicked the habit, and have found that they don't miss it, GOOD FOR YOU!  :)

Spamity Calamity:

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on January 04, 2010, 11:34:43 PM ---Backyard Food Production is the name of a company (notice that this is in the TSP Marketplace).  That company belongs to ForestGarden, and they decided that this post belonged here.  Since they're the moderator of this board, I don't see any reason why it should not be here.  :)

Also, just for scientific knowledge (which I'm sure you're interested in), certain kinds of fungal infections, and/or yeast infections can most definitely make you crave sugar - particularly Candida albicans.  There are also certain conditions that can cause both sugar cravings, and susceptibility to fungal infections (insulin resistance, for example).

HTH.

--- End quote ---

It does look like certain fungal infections actually cause a craving for yeast and sugar. Huh go figure. So I guess forestgardens belief that her toe fungus made her/him crave sugar.  I think alot of us can and should cut down on sugar but I still dont see any good reason for cutting it out of your diet entirely.

The youtube video is not very interesting. It simply shows you that shoving 200 grams of sugar down your throat is not good for your body. I agree. What is interesting is that the video comes to the conclusion that all sugar is bad for you when really its the amount of it more than anything. I think calling something that can be changed by a simple diet change an "addiction" is as overboard as the title of the video "Death by Sugar".

KYdoomer:
What's the story with honey?  Good sugar or bad?

I need to get beehives...

J

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version