Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Homebrewer's Board

What are you brewing?

<< < (91/92) > >>

archer:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on June 09, 2016, 04:56:10 PM ---Interesting.  How's this made?  Like dandelion wine?

--- End quote ---

I’ll 'borrow' my wife’s recipe and post it here.

1greenman:
Does Water Kefir count?

It is a fermentation.  Gets right bubbly delicious if conditions are right!

David in MN:
Well my tripel was a flame-o disaster. Way too dark, way too malty, a little sweet, rummy notes, etc. Basically it drinks more like a quad, which was not my intent. I obviously went too high on special grains and gravity while not adding enough sugar to lean out the body. But I don't mind calling it a quad while I plan the next attempt. Led to funny conversation with my wife where she asked about the alcohol content and I told her it was just short of 11%. She asked why I insist on making every batch as potent as possible, especially when my favorite tripels are usually ~8-9abv. Good point. Back to the drawing board.

Today I'm starting another dry cider between beer batches. My next batch will be an IPA for my father in law. Right now I'm planning 100% Marris Otter and Fuggles for bittering, aroma, dry, and keg hops. Before you ask, yes it will be 9-10abv as is my preference.

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: David in MN on June 14, 2016, 10:41:46 AM ---Well my tripel was a flame-o disaster. Way too dark, way too malty, a little sweet, rummy notes, etc. Basically it drinks more like a quad, which was not my intent. I obviously went too high on special grains and gravity while not adding enough sugar to lean out the body. But I don't mind calling it a quad while I plan the next attempt. Led to funny conversation with my wife where she asked about the alcohol content and I told her it was just short of 11%. She asked why I insist on making every batch as potent as possible, especially when my favorite tripels are usually ~8-9abv. Good point. Back to the drawing board.

--- End quote ---

In other words, you made a loaf of bread in a pint glass :)

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on June 14, 2016, 10:53:03 AM ---In other words, you made a loaf of bread in a pint glass :)

--- End quote ---

Not my worst miss. The yeast "funk" is great yielding a fantastic nose and the malty back works if I call it a quad. To be fair, I'm a newbie on the Trappist type ales. Most of my brewing is more Belgian farmhouse so I'm trying to expand my knowledge. Not surprising my first crack at a tripel smacks more of a a biere de garde. I've done dubbels in the past but my bread and butter are saisons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version