Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Homebrewer's Board

Started my first whatever it is

(1/3) > >>

Artos:
Not sure what this is technically.  First thing Ive ever tried to make.  Taking a bit of a risk by not sticking to a known recipe and working without any sort of test equipment, but it just got to the point I needed to brew or get out of the kitchen, ya know?

Recipe:
1kg pure honey
2.2L Apple Juice
1L Sour cherry juice
4oz English Breakfast Tea
1Tbsp bread yeast

All went into a 3L water bottle with a balloon.  Im constrained by a lack of options as demon alcohol is illegal in this country.  I do have a homemade airlock made, I may use it if the balloon doesnt seem to work.  So far so good, 2 hours in and the balloon is up and the size of an orange.  Ill wait at least 2 weeks and transfer to 1L flip-top bottles. 

David in MN:
Might work. Tea might make it a little astringent but you never know. I'm guessng with alcohol banned brewing yeast is impossible. That sucks. But if my guesswork is right if you got a full ferment you might have a potent drink. So if you have to cut it with a little fruit juice to drink it... Well, we've all been there. I always advise that the first batch usually sucks (mine did).

Were I in your shoes I might have started with a simpler apple cider just to get going. If you can get your hands on The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible there are a ton of recipes made with bare bones "no brewing equipment" and even references to people in your position. It might be a good resource.

Either way welcome to the brewing community!

fritz_monroe:
Welcome to brewing.  I'm thinking that what you have there is a melomel, that's mead with fruit in it.  It it was just apple juice with the honey, it would be a cyser.  But it really doesn't matter what you call it. 

Bread yeast works, but it will likely have a distinct biscuit like aroma.  Not bad, but different.

archer:
congrats on starting your 1st batch.  dont be tempted to shake it to get it to ferment higher, i did that to my 1st batch, it was rocket fuel, but the flavor was really weird.

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: archer on July 20, 2019, 09:13:36 AM ---dont be tempted to shake it to get it to ferment higher, i did that to my 1st batch, it was rocket fuel, but the flavor was really weird.

--- End quote ---
That was probably oxidation that gave it the weird taste.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version