Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Homebrewer's Board

Fermented beer in a keg

(1/2) > >>

Packerfan78:
Hey guys, i apologize if somebody already asked this but i was thinking of storing a couple kegs of beer in case there was a 2 week black out. I live in phoenix arizona and figure i could power my kegerator with a generator. Even if we dont have a long term blackout its always nice to have a spare keg. So, does anybody know if any keg beer is fermented so it could be stored in a non refrigerated environment?

CharlesH:
Are they coming to you under pressure?  If so I’d think you’d be OK, but I’d do an internet search and see what the experts say.  I think it’s considered best to keep them in cold storage (50-ish degrees F) but I know homebrewers who don’t have the ability to do that.  I assume you’d be cycling through them?

fritz_monroe:
Beer isn't typically fermented in the keg.  It's in a huge vat and the keg is filled.  Even homebrewed beer is not fermented in the keg.  You ferment the beer, put it in the keg and pressurize it.

If you decide to keep a couple of kegs, you need to rotate them.  Beer does go bad.  It's not a "it's going to kill you" bad, but it will taste nasty and off. 

David in MN:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on January 05, 2018, 07:13:38 AM ---Beer isn't typically fermented in the keg.  It's in a huge vat and the keg is filled.  Even homebrewed beer is not fermented in the keg.  You ferment the beer, put it in the keg and pressurize it.

--- End quote ---

It is done but rare. You produce the wort, pitch in the keg, and seal when it hits the correct gravity to carbonate. Usually done with brews meant to be yeasty and usually low alcohol (poor storage). The Campaign for Real Ale advocates a primary ferment and then secondary ferment in the keg for a similar effect. But again, it's for quality and historical accuracy, not shelf life.

http://www.camra.org.uk/home

Kegs aren't meant for storage. Kegs are meant to be an efficient way to dispense beer at bars where hundreds of bottles every hour would be a waste. The shelf life of kegs is poor, very poor if you don't have a CO2 system.

Beer is preserved two ways: hops and alcohol. The more of each the longer the shelf life. If you want to store beer, I would recommend buying a few cases of Sierra Nevada Winter Ale. Worst case you sore them and drink when you replace next year (this beer is actually better with a year's age).

Other beers I would (and have) aged:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Sierra Neevada Bigfoot
Summit Winter
Stone (almost any 7% or above IPA from Stone will work)
Burton Bridge Empire Pale Ale (improves much with age)
JW Lee's Harvest Ale (best beer I have found for aging)
Anchor Old Foghorn
Thomas Hardy's Ale
Hair of the Dog Adam's Beer

The pattern here is IPAs and barleywines. Other good agers are Russian Imperial Stouts, Trappists, soured beers, and (in general) the high gravity Belgian ales.

Packerfan78:
Thanks guys. I misused my jargon. I meant pasteurized beer in a keg. Sorry for the confusion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version